Sony CDP-CA8ES CD Players

3.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Submitted by Andrew a

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased the unit in June, 1998 and although it sounds great, the fluorescent display has failed numerous times. It has been returned to the Sony Store at least 4 times and currently it has been gone for 4 months. I have demanded a replacement unit but have been given evasive and unsatisfactory responses by Sony customer service for the past 2 months. Be very wary of purchasing Sony products without understanding their repair and replacement policies, even ES products. It appears that U.S. Sony customers receive more prompt and courteous service. "ES" certainly does not stand for excellent service in Canada.

Submitted by Garth Libre a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wanted something that would work well with my my hand built Seas driver based speakers (my self made pride and joy), my Adcom GTP 500 II preamp and Adcom Gfp 5300 Amp. I took home a bunch of stuff from various local stores, under the understanding that I could return what didn't suit my home system upon testing. The Yamaha natural sound was the cheapest but strangely it swung the best with Harry Connick Junior. The Marantz was the unit recommended by Stereo Review as the absolute best for low money in the single play CD division and the carousel being the same unit with the addition of the carousel unit, according to the manufacturer. The Marantz was almost unlistenable, having no bass, no drive and downright dull. The Sony stood out as being a good comprimise, with analytical sound, good bass and a musical overview. I wish it had swung with a slightly less forgiving sound but all is a trade off. By the way, of the five CD players I tried all were completly different in their musical interpretation with no player sounding much like any other. Proof that everything has it's sonic signature. The Sony had the best interpretation of wood as in clarinets, and especially wooden percusive latin instruments. Others in our listening group agreed, as the differences were easy to detect. You don't need golden ears to spot the differences. The unit has performed flawlessly in the last three years and upon opening the unit, everything seemed very well constructed, not like the lacksidaisical build quality of so many others including my beloved bargain Adcom preamp.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Having used sony portable CD players for a long time, I figured their home models (especially the ES series) would be above reproach. I've been pretty disappointed with the ca8es I have however. The fact that certain disks won't play properly makes this player an unwise purchase (unless Sony has fixed it on later models). For the money, you can probably find a better, higher quality, more reliable CD changer. Carousel players are ubiquitous these days, so it shouldn't be a problem finding an alternative.

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Totoro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this unit from the Sony Factory Outlet store in Birch Run outlet mall in Michigan. I paid $300 for it. When I brought it back home, I noticed that the unit skipped once a while... may be once in few hours. I went back to the store and asked for exchange (They won't refund your money). Second one was the same. It skipped once a while. So I went back there again and the third one did the same. Three units in a row!!! Be careful if you are buying this from sony outlet.

I decided to keep the third one (Since they won't refund my money), because it was the cleanest among the three. Two were made in Malaysia, and thisone was made in Japan. I have used it for 3 years now.

It sounds really good. Period. No "best-buy" brand CD player will match the sound of this Middle range ES player. Plays ALL kinds of discs. All the CDR's (Not CDRW) can be played without any problem.

If it didn't skip, i'd give full 5 stars.. but I am fairly happy with it. If I purchase another CD player, it'll be XA7ES.

Submitted by an Audiophile a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
The sound of this unit kills my old Rotel 965 single bit player. The remote drives the variable outputs which has helped me hang on to my older pre-amp.

It's not all good news with this player.
I have had problems with certain disks that seem to oscillate and therefore the player just pumps our noise to the speakers. No, this in not a skipping sound, it is oscillating. The disks in question never had a problem on my Rotel 965, Philips CD-650 or my Panasonic portable.

I hope Sony can do something about this.

FGH 26: