Sony CDP-CA80ES CD Players

4.55/5 (20 Reviews)

Submitted by Art a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
First off, I listned to many more cd players than listed above in my quest to becoming an "audiophile" and had no bias to begin with (except that I was replacing a very reliable Sony CDP215). I liked the Mcintosh the best but can't afford one right now and I wanted a 5 disc player. The Rotel was very very good and I was seriously considering it until I listened to the Sony CA80ES and CA9ES. I loved them more because of my perception of them being more reliable (I have heard bad stories about Rotel and reliability) and their sound was totally on par with Rotel. I could not tell a difference really between the CA9 and CA80 - the CA9 may have a bit more bass extension - and with the price I could get the CA80 for it was a no brainer (on top of being the newer model of the two).

I am exceptionally happy with it and it mates very well with my incredible-sounding Mcintosh MC202 amp and C712 preamp. I use MIT T2 interconnects on the CD, and MIT T2 biwires on my fabulous Paradigm Reference Studio 100s. I do notice poorly recorded CDs as being just that, more than before, but I also hear a lot more detail which more than makes up for it!! I can overlook the plastic CD tray for improved electronics and at 300 bucks, it is perfect! I am impressed every time I play music - what more could I ask for? 5 stars all around for this one.

Purchased At:   Audio Warehouse

Submitted by Al a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I really didn't expect to like a Sony best. I listened to all everything though. The Sony blew the Marantz and the Denon out of the water in build quality and in sound quality. The Arcam sounded good, but it was a single disc and their cheapest changer was almost 1000$. The Nakamishi sounded almost as good (not as nuetral), but I checked the shops repair logs. Apparently Nakamishi's staking mechanism isn't nearly as reliable as it should be. Finaly, I liked the Adcom as well as the sony, but I couldn't justify spending the extra money when the Sony sounded at least as good.
The major sonic advantage that I heard from the sony is nuetrality. We even did an A/B with the new Sony Super CD machine. I could hear a difference, but it was VERY minimal. This is one good CD player for the money. Also has a five year warranty.

Purchased At:   Sony Outlet

Submitted by Todd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love this product. I was looking for something that played more than 1 CD and that had audiophile sound. The 80ES is the one. I love the feautres on this unit too. Call me a features guy, but they do make something better. Anyways, I paid $360 plus about $25 shipping and I figured that was a steal, so for the price and quality I cannot complain.

Build quality:
Solid aluminum panel
Heavy feel for it only being a 5-disc and not even rated as "audiophile quality."

Sound:
Excellent.
Clarity and soundstage is really good for the unit.
I had heard things I had not ever heard coming from my CD's. I found myself listening more and more to the parts of the music rather than the whole piece b/c of the clarity, imagining, and soundstage it produced. I felt that with the new RCA's I purchased it seemed a little bright,a nd even more so on burned CD's. After about a week it went away and really nice sound came.

Price:
Like I said excellent price for what you get. I know this is not audiophile rated and I know that this is not some mega-buck transport, but for what it is, truly excellent. I highly suggest that if you are gonna buy a changer b/c you're like me and don't like getting up every 20 minutes to listen to something else, or you like ALL music then purchase this changer. I feel it is better quality than the mega-changers and I also feel that any other lower quality (regualr Sony) is not made as nice nor does it sound as nice.

Features:
Nice build quality and looks. Pretty much same as other changers, ie; programming, shuffle, etc. I do like the disc naming feature. I also really like the automatic disc titling. The only problem with that is there are so few CD's with this feature in it. Works well with my other Sony gear (not intentional).

All in all I would suggest this piece for anyone looking for a really nice changer with excellent sound. I love the price, the features, and the reputation. MAthces well with my other equipment. Also, if you like audiophile sound like I do and still want a changer, I suggest the setup I have going. I will review my DAC in a different posting.

Equipment:
Sony 777ES receiver
Sony 530 DVD
Sony 80ES 5-disc changer
Monster Power Center 3500
MSB Link DAC III (no upgrades yet)
Paradigm Reference Studio 40's
Matching PRemier "J" stands
Liberty Ultra CAP THX cable (no terminations)
Stealth SCR and CWS interconnects.

The Liberty ULTRA CAP is excellent value for the performance (less than $1 a foot and compares...trust me..it compares)
Stealth interconnects are really good priced and have TONS of imaging. Anyways, love the system, and only upgrades will be to the DAC and then later adding on to the HT setup.

E-mail me with questions or comments.
Thanks.

Purchased At:   Sound seller.com

Submitted by Gary Wright a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
The perfect answer for those who want quality sound and title/custom-file facilities, without the clunky, waiting-to-jam cumbersomeness of mega-changers (one day, it's inevitable that every 300-disc changer will clog up with hundreds of discs inside...nothing runs trouble-free forever, especially those mega-CD-traps. I don't intend sitting and waiting for the day my whole collection gets trapped).
The 80ES sound is warmer than my 7700 DVD player's CD performance. The sound is smoother, though I feel the 7700 has a tighter bass and is possibly more "accurate" in that area. Having said that, the 80ES is very easy to listen to and, to my ears, provides the more musical (as opposed to analytical) results.
A delete-file function is essential to me as I prefer to listen only to preferred tracks. Continual programming is a hassle, but delete file allows edited playback whenever the disc is selected. Over 200 discs can be delete-filed in this way, along with titles.
This is a changer that can be enjoyed for it's sensible and high-quality features, not least its very persuasive sound. I have had a 555ES changer and I think the sound battle with the 80ES is a close one. I give the victory to the 80ES though, thanks to an extra, almost indefinable ease on the ear. I recommend the 80ES wholeheartedly and suggest you give it a listen before rushing out to buy the big megachangers that are an accident waiting to happen.
My system:
Boston speakers
Velodyne woofer

Submitted by Ed DeCuir a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased two new pieces of equipment, the 80ES and the Sony 777ES receiver. I first swapped out the CD changer (don't need a manual to do that)and was surprised at how
big, open and effortless the sound was. I was so busy trying different disks that it was more then an hour before I opened the box for the receiver!

The 777 receiver is also great but that is a story for another review section.

Interesting note:
The manual for the 777 receiver recommends the digital coax over the optical connection but Sony's matching CD changer does not have it. Hummmmm.

To take advantage of the 80ES's digital filtering, I use analog cables.

Wood Technology: