Sony CDP-C725 CD Players

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

5 Disk Carousel

Submitted by Frank Harrison a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I picked this unit up the other day at the local thrift store, took it home, hooked it up, listened, and then said to myself, "Wowee, this unit sounds FABULOUS! This is far and away the best CD player I have ever owned!" I tested all the functions and was very pleased to note that everything works flawlessly. An incredible score for $25, it would have been a bargain a ten times the price. I'm going to get a copy of the service manual for this fine piece, give away my cruddy old Magnetbox, and keep this one until I die.

Purchased At:   YMCA thrift store

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just got my paradigm reference studio 100's (v.3)... and I was listening to some cd's from my cheap progressive scan dvd player that I picked up for about 180 bucks. Listening to some cd's and things on it, they sounded ok. I thought I'd get my old sony cdp out of the closet and see what it could do. The sound is unbelievable. I can't belive this thing that is 10+ years old plays soooo much better than a decent dvd player. I plan on upgrading all my sources and stuff soon... but I just thought I'd write a quick little note in here to all you people that have one of these laying around in a closet somewhere. I'm sure it doesn't come close to some of the new players out there these days, but it certainly plays very very good for its age. I was impressed. There is no comparison between my new dvd player, and this old cd player... I didn't even know digital optical was out back in 1988... lol

cheers

Purchased At:   10+ years ago

Submitted by Ingo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is simply a stellar unit for its time, including optical digital output and not only variable output level control (that won't reset to max when the unit is turned off like many of today's units), but also programable dsp (digital sound processing control) from live-church-hall-disco-jazz-stadium-background effects + flat plus variable equalizer and reverb controls. You can program up to 184 CD's and it will remember the output level, surround sound mode, specified playing order--just amazing! transport and disk shuffling is fairly quiet. Only thing that I've recently noticed is I hear a whirring/resonance on certain tracks from certain CD's. Nothing gets to the output, but if you stand close to the unit, you can hear it. That's the only complaint in 8 years! The sound (pulse-analog system) is very natural sounding, not unlike the tube tuner section on my McIntosh MAC-1700 receiver. Will be a difficult time finding something comparable today. And I like the 5CD format intead of 50+ changers.

Submitted by michael picardal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought the 725 new, mainly because of the DSP features. Was also enamored of the many features it offered to customize and catalog your cd's. 3 months after purchase, had to send it back to cruthfield for a warrenty repair, don't remember what it was, but it wasn't working. Have own and played it 7+ years, though I can't say it has a lot of playing miles on it. Finally decided not to play anymore winter '99. Was going to chuck it for a new and improved model, but I have not seen any other CDP models that offer DSP, looks like DSP is only offered on amps these days. And the 725 is a neat unit, I like it, so I took it in to the local Sony Service Center.

Sony has a flat rate repair program for equipment less than seven years old. Long story short, they misread the build date, and I got it fixed @ flat rate $99, as opposed to $285, at which price it arguably is not worth repairing. So kudos and much thanks to the Sony Repair Service.

Bottom line, it has great sound, great features. But in my experience of purchasing higher priced Sony CD products, nice design, suspect durability (3 top of the line CD Walkmans, all three have been to the sony service center, plus the 725 twice). Fortunatly, the Sony Service Center has always been responsive.

Submitted by Rayel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I love this baby. I refuse to let it go untill the electrons stop flowing or all my CD's rot to pieces. I am only 27 but I plan for my grandchildren to find this thing in the attic so they can play mold old rotten CD's in 2075!!!! I have not found any other CD player that make me remotely jealous to replace it. I have a DVD player that sounds like junk on music in comparison and being a movie player has barely a tenth of the features. Buy one used if you can, just check to make sure the drawer works. I would sell mine for oh, say, $700. Sinc e that's more than it cost you can bet I will have it for a long time, huh. I also agree with all the positives about features and display size. I love it!!

BLG CP024: