Sony CDP 491 CD Players

3.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $190.00

Sony CDP 491

Submitted by ccwpeter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought my sony CDP 491 new in 1991. It is still working great and never get me any troubles after 15 years service. No jumping tracks. I listen to it almost every day when working at home. I use a dry-clean CD to clean up the laser lens once a while.

Although it is not as great as my another Sony XA20ES CD player. It is still much better than many similar CD players. Reliable, clear soundstage, warm comparing to many similar products. I have to say Sony CDP491 is a good choice if you don't want to pay a little money for a second.

Purchased At:   USA

Submitted by appsci02 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this player at a used goods store and have loved it. The sound is good, and it has proved problem free, especially considering that I bought it used. I like the easy to use controls, and its brainless operation.
Like I said, it sounds good, especially for a budget deck. I would have been happy with it even if I had paid full price for it. The sound is crystal clear, and it plays all types of music with precision, though not always with the warmest tones. It's hard to believe that this unit is ten years old!

Purchased At:   Value Village

Submitted by KurtK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought new in '91/ 92, still working perfectly. Had the same problem mentioned by previous posts, jumping tracks, skipping the begening track(s), taking long time to recognize track/ time when loaded (if it does at all), etc. Fixed simply by cleaning the lense with Q-tip and a drop of windex. Sure it takes a little loving care after almost a decade of service! Excellent value, no questions.

I lost an owner's manual afetr 6 moves, so if anyone has one I would very much appreciate a copy of the specifications via email.

Submitted by Simon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this player for about 18 monthes, and after noticing that the transport mechanism was extremely sensitive to vibrations from other equipment or slight knock, i started to have problems with the player skipping on the earlier tracks on the cds played in it. The problem normally went away after swapping the cd or turning the player on or off. Gradually the problem got to a stage where it was impossible to listen to a cd without it skipping. eventually i replaced it with an arcam alpha 7se.

Purchased At:   Given By Friend

Submitted by Brian Cleaveland a

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
this was the best looking deck they had and the lowest price, so I bought it for 2nd player. great features. model year is 1991, it wasn't available in this review format