Sony CDP-C450Z

Submitted by Carl Winter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the first and only CD player I've owned, and it's a mixed bag. I really wanted the Custom File functionality of Sony's older models (and curent ES line), but couldn't find it under $250.

I got this for a steal at $170, and had to invest about 60 bux getting the tray fixed.

Now for some reason the display doesn't light up all the time. I'm getting down the tap to bring it back to life.

But the Music Clip function keeps me hangin' on. I assign any track on any disc to one of four groups, A through D.

I thought of categories based on my mood:
A = Best of the Best
B = Dance-able Trax
C = Sleep-inducing Trax
D = Trax worth hearing

This way, no matter what CD I have in the changer, I just hit shuffle and I've got music to fit my mood.

So, the features are cool--but it's cheap for a reason. 4 stars b/c it's mine, and I need to justify my purchase. Really it's a 3.5.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy the 450Z. I bought mine back in '97 for around $199 i think. The memory features and everything are wonderful. I love the track delete (as I have a few CDs with a few songs I hope to NEVER hear again!) and the clip feature is kinda cool too (although I don't use it much).

I have never had any kind of problem with skipping, or sound quality. The disc tray isn't wonderful but it seems pretty solid and works well. I don't have a whole lot to compare it to (as this is my first changer) but the CDs sometimes feel kind of loose in it as I put them in. The X-Change play (playing a CD while changing the others) is nice as well.

A budget CD changer with a lot of really good features.

Submitted by Mike Miranda a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for the lesser frills CDP-C350Z. It's basically in the same product family but this unit doesn't remember favorte cuts on your CD's. I enjoy the shuffle play feature and being able to load 4 CD's while the 5th is playing. I don't remember what I paid for the unit which I bought before the 200 disc CD players came out. Sure wish I had waited. My one big complaint about this unit is some CD's have a tendency to lose traction with the drive unit this causes something that sounds very much like mistracking. Lightly cleaning the center of the CD sometimes helps but I have never had this problem with any other CD player from audio units to computer CD Rom players. I returned an open box unit that was discounted which had the same problem only more severe and bought this at full price. While it's better than the first I should have returned it too. Please let me know if there is a fix.

Submitted by Michael Sabatini a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 1998

Bottom Line:
I believe that the Sony CDP-C450Z is a good buy for the audio enthusiast. It provides upgradability to an outboard D/A converter with its digital output. It can store your favorite tracks in memory for each CD and will allow you to play those tracks when it recognizes a CD you put in. As far as sound goes, unless you're a true audiophile, CD players will not sound noticably different. This CD player sounds as good as any I've heard. It's what happens to the signal from the CD player that determines the quality of sound. As far as skip protection, I have never had the CD player skip. It even played one of my severely scratched CDs, one which my car CD player and discman wouldn't play. I would reccomend this CD player.

Submitted by vinson a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1997

Bottom Line:
This chinese made CD changer needs help! I had a problem with the tray unit when it kept bumping the case everytime it was inserted back into the player. The specifications for this player, however, is amazing. It's got a digital out, so it's got another one up. As far as sound goes, it's average for a Sony player (which isn't that good to being with). I ended up returning this unit.