Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1
Description: 0.5Hz to 20kHz +/-0.3 dB

Submitted by Marcin Wasilewski a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own this unit for over 2 years and it doesn't even come into my mind to swap it for sth. else. The stock unit sounds really good (especially with comparison to transistor Wadias, Levinsons) but there is still a room for huge improovement. First of all - the unit MUST (!!!!) have capacitors changed. After replacement of only 6 WIMA caps for Auricaps (1.0uF 200V) the sound became much more detailed, transparent, full bodied, with much better localization, wider and even deeper sounstage. Amazing, especially considering small cost of the caps change. Second recommended upgrade concerns tubes - (I changed for Edicrons - more delicate and clear than stock Sovtecks).
The third improovent that should be made is the use of a good powercord. It may improove SFCD1 dramatically. With these upgrades the sound is simply REAL and most analoglike possible from the digital source (even SACD players I heard don't come even close).
If you own SFCD1 and want to change it for separate combos, do yourself a favour before waisting your money and make upgrades I mentioned above. First of all CHANGE THE CAPS !!!

Submitted by LIU Hermann a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had bought the SFCD-1 for around 3 years, notwithstanding the very excellent performance in every aspect (it has wonderful warmth in tone and sound, very detailed manifestiation of sound and deep and full-of-air staging and imaging), one thing totallyt intolerable to me (I wonder whether it only to me only or not) is that within this 3 years, I need to have the tranpsort mechanism (Philips CDM12.4) replaced for 4 times (the last time at my own expense of around US$300 and the longest time that the tranport functions properlly is around 8 months ). I guess that there much be some very fundamental flaw or weakness in the transport. I do not want to advice anybody to avoid it as it sounds really great but given its price, how you much be a very patient and well off guy if you consider to go for it.

Submitted by Marco Duran a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This CD Player is the one that I long for, and I haven't found other product can beat it until now.

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
The SFCD1 is a very musical piece of gear over other
CD players I have heard in the past. It has great drive,
rhythm and pace. Listening to pieces with guitars, horns,
voices and cymbals – everything comes out so much
bigger and live sounding than what I have experienced
with other players. Voices are extended and clear.
It gets the last ounce out of instruments. The sound is very clean, neutral, and analogue-like (not digital sounding at all). Build quality is phenomenal. I'm extremely happy with the player. I'm also very impressed with the customer servioffered by Sonic Frontier.

The gear I have is...
Swan Cygnus, South American Rosewood loudspeakers
Lovan with rosewood shelves

Submitted by Jack Luk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I used this machine for near 2 years. I keep on bringing some new cd players to challenge it (see similar products used), but the SFCD1 is still my first choice.

This player plays a very involving sound and can make you sit down and listen the whole CD, quite unbelievable.

Associate gears: