RCA RP 8070 5 Disc CD Changer CD Players

2.11/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $129.99

The RCA RP-8070 features a 5-disc carousel so you can enjoy hours and hours of your favorite music without hearing the same track twice. A programmable 32-track digital memory lets you customize your own playlists, and with simultaneous play-and-load, you can change discs while a CD is still playing. A 20-key full function remote control keeps system access close at hand.

Submitted by jimbob66 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
The worst unit from the day I bought it. Dealer was 60 miles away, thought the unit would eventually be okay, but nay.

It had two problems. The first was the audio knob, which was inconsistent, then it was hit-or-miss on whether I could crank it to any appreciable volume.

Then the tray, which finally wouldn't open. I couldn't even turn off the unit (via the normal method--on/off switch!!

I would not buy another RCA product.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Russ L a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
I got 5 decent years out of the RCA-8070, so I would say I got my money's worth. just died last week. Always a slightly awkward, shaky, noisy open/close compartment mechanism. Also noisy tray rotation. Limited features, but served most of my needs from 2001-06. However, I will be upgrading to better-quality product to replace the RCA.

Purchased At:   Bestbuy

Submitted by vik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my review below...the RCA just died today. The cd tray no longer opens. I'm not going to bother getting it fixed. $70 down the drain. At least it lasted me 1.5 years, which appears to be a long time for this unit.

Purchased At:   CC

Submitted by vik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm sorry to hear so many people are having problems with this unit. Mine has worked flawlessly for the past 11 months. I find it easy to operate, although the disc spinning mechanism is noisy and the unit lacks some advanced features (such as showing remaining track time). Audio quality is OK, about what you would expect from a cheap player - mushy midrange and rolled off highs and bass. Fortunately the unit has a digital output (optical), so I connected an external DAC. This player makes a great cheap transport and seems built ok, so I think it represents a good buy for the money.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by MaxxC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I was a kid my Father was always big into RCA as were many other fathers at the time. Good products that were built!

Unfortunatly this isn't your Fathers RCA. I had several RCA products in the early 1990's that I received as graduation gifts. All were glitchy, buggy, offered poor performance per dollar and had short lives before giving up the ghost.

Christmas of 2001 I was assembling my Daughters first stereo system. Was waiting to buy a Technics or Kenwood Carousel player but they were never in stock. Left with little choice (in my budget range) I pulled the trigger and December 24th reluctantly bought this inexpensive RCA.

On December 28th the unit went back and was replaced with a Kenwood unit.

The RCA had so many glitches and problems right out of the box that it was obvious RCA was still selling garbage.

Purchased At:   HH Gregg