Pioneer PD-F1039
Description: 300 + 1 CD Changer - 1-Bit D/A Converter - Single Disc Loading - Optical Digital Output

Submitted by luggnutt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
AWESOME! This cd changer is very well designed and includes many clever and unique features. The sound quality is superb.

Purchased At:   Tulsa, OK

Submitted by Pat a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got tired of fishing through shelves of CDs everytime I wanted to listen to something. Having 300 of them stored in one place with searching capability is great! It took hours to set everything up - mostly to type in all of the album names - but it was well worth it.

The operation of this unit is pretty straight forward. It works quite reliably and quietly. The sound quality is surprisingly good. I have some pretty high-end stuff, Bryston, Mageneplanars, McIntosh, Forte, and Paradigm. Typically, you don't see CD changers in these setups. I hooked up the 1039 using the optical digital output into my MSB Link DAC. The sound is excellent and much better than I had expected.

Now that I've run out of space in the 1039, I'm going to take advantage of the daisy chaining feature and order another or a PD-F27.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Jerry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Since I'm a fan of old time jukeboxes (the ones that play vinyl records) CD mega-changers immediately caught my eye when they were introduced. Then, when my trusty 12 year old Technics single CD player finally quit, I saw this as an opportunity to move up to this modern day jukebox.

After using the Pioneer 1039 for about 18 months I can easily summarize my opinion in one word -- FANTASTIC.

I listen to music daily; so I have given the 1039 a pretty good workout and its operation has been flawless.
In fact, I've been listening to CDs more than ever before because I often operate the mega-changer in the "random selection mode" instead of listening to the radio. It's like having a radio station that plays all your favorites with no commercials.

Although the remote is a bit small, I quickly became used to it and I don't consider its size a problem. Lighter colored letters on the remote would have been easier to see in low light.

Pioneer's mega-changers are smaller than some other brands I looked at. However I still had to cut out the back of my audio cabinet to accommodate it; so measure first. (The 1039 measures
16 9/16 wide x 17 1/16 deep x 7 5/8 inches high.)

The Pioneer 1039 is an amazing piece of technology, with many useful features, at a very affordable price. My old
Rock-Ola jukebox was never as good as this.

Purchased At:   an east coast chain store

Submitted by Robert Hunter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Since it's replacing a six disc changer, I'm really enjoying having all of my music at instand access. I've been listening to music I havn't in a long time, finally able to fully take advantage of music collection. Display and text editing is terrific with use of Keyboard. I hightly recommend using the external keyboard since the inputs on both the remote and the unit it's self can take much longer and a lot more effort. Random play I've enjoyed immensley. Which brings me to my one complaint. A handful of my discs are recorded on a Pioneer CDRW 739 recorder. These discs cancell the random play function on the player. I haven't had this problem with my car CD player also made by Pioneer. It is possible to connect two of these units to a reciever both with a digital optical. However, what is required is a reciever with multiple digital (optical) inputs that you can assign the location to. i.e. Input 1 for CD and input 2 for CD. My Pioneer elite reciever has this capability, but that would also take up two of four digital inputs, somethinkg I'm not willing to do. Fortunately I only have one CD Changer. Otherwise, this has been a great player, and I highly recommend it if these issues aren't a problem for you.

Purchased At:   276

Submitted by Anthony Ule a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
The capacity and price of this player is the strong point, but Pioneer kind of misleads the consumer as far as daisy chaining the units is concerned. You can't program between two daisy chained units and the random feature will only randomly play tracks from one player(meaning random will only randomly play tracks from disks 1-300 or 301-600 not from 1-600). The random button on the remote will cause the master unit to randomly play tracks. To use random on the slave unit you have to get up and push the random button on the slave unit itself. You would think hitting random on the remote or the master unit would mean that the random mode would work on all 600 discs. Not so!!! Also you cannot use the optical hookup when daisy chaining. The owners guide kinda sucks too. It is too vague in stating what the player will or won't do when daisy chained to another. Pioneer likes to call two of these together a 600 disc changer, but you loose the capability to use most of the features of the player when using more than one player. These units perform fine and I haven't had any trouble with them, but I feel Pioneer is really misleading the consumer with the capabilities of these units. The thing is, I doubt any retailer would've known about this unless they actually had two of these things hooked up at home or on the showroom floor and actually experimented with them for a while.

Purchased At:   ECOST.COM