Pioneer PD-F1007
Description: 301 disk player

Submitted by williambq a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this because of the nubmer of CDs I had of course. But especially, I have was originally impressed w/ the idea of CD-TEXT capability. Although it took a while for CD-burners to come on the market that actually would do this, that was my long term goal. Also, I had EXPECTED the music industry to pick up on this. However, of over 600 purchased factory made CDs, only TWO (2) have CD-TEXT included on them. Destiny's Child, and Anggun (English release only). Cool! Well, okay. So over the past 2 years (I have had the unit about 3.5 years now) I have made my own CD-TEXT version of my CDs. However, recently it has started to not recognize most of my cd-r CD-TEXT CDs and occasionally it doesn't recognize newly purchased factory stamped CDs...
I had it checked out/tuned up about 1 year ago as the track came off after I moved (houses). But aside from that it has seemed great until recently. I have not been able to determine if it is some new element in CD properties or new factory stamped CDs that make it not read them or if the unit is now starting to become faulty. It seems to consistently read older CDs and older cd-r i made or make without CD-TEXT.... Aside from that, and some of the other things noted (it seems to replay in a certain order when set on random, so if you start it over, it seems to hit the same set of songs... thus the impression you are hearing always the same songs - but if you let it play on random for 2 days or so, it DOES play all the songs until it is done - unless you have it on repeat... I haven't carefully tracked exactly what that does...) I love it! I have never had memory loss issues.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by Terrence Dub a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
The only reason that I get to listen to my music. I have upwards of 500 cd's and this keeps them in the rotation regularily. I love this unit. About to purchase a second for the ultimate juke box.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Denis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I think this unit has a decent sound and it seems reliable
so far. I've had it for approx. two years and had no problems with it except for one memory loss and i think it might be due to a lightening strike. I don't know
why you are scared of turning this unit off or unplug it.
I am connected through my amplifier's switched 120volt outlet. So when it turn my amp off, I remove power from my
cd player and it might stay off for a few days and i have
no memory loss. But i recommend you write your cd titles and position on a list because,it's easier to follow this list than pulling your cd's out to reprogram your cd player in case of a memory loss. I am not an audiophile but i don't really hear much difference between the analog out and the fibre optic output. I am using a Poineer Elite VSX33TX A/V unit with Paradigm monitor 11 v2's front and monitor 3's rear and cc370 center. So i think with this setup i sould be able to distinguish a difference but i cannot really hear much difference between the analog and digital output.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was originally very pleased with this unit except for the fact that in random mode it repeatedly played the same tracks off the same discs over and over again, while some tracks were never heard.
Memory Loss: After I finally input all titles and artists which took me months (This is a very painful process on this unit) I had a complete loss of memory. This happened about a month after I finally finished inputing them. I wanted to puke.
Now The player is jammed. The code on the player, and in the manual, says that 2 discs were in the same slot. I opened the player and removed the extra disc, but now the unit will not turn on. Pioneer has been no help at all, and referred us to the store it was purchased.
I believe I am going to go with the Sony cx450. Costs more, but seems a much better player with features like: on screen display, led remote-for scrolling titles, and a keyboard input for easy title input.
** I actually only paid 180.00 with additional store credits for this unit, so for the price, and almost 3 years of good service, it was a decent buy. BUT I wouldnt recommend it*****

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Wendel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
Be warned: These reviews include comments about the PD-F1009 and PD-F1039 units. The PD-F1007 does NOT have keyboard input, which is admittedly too bad. Would make for a near perfect combination.

I already submitted a review below when I first purchased the unit. I am submitting another because of a few reasons. I have never had any problems with memory loss. I have unplugged the unit (rommate did on accident), I have turned the power off on the unit (again, roommate) and neither have resulted in memory loss. Maybe I am lucky. Maybe they have improved the capacitor used. I have been very impressed with the 1007. I will put it on random and leave it go all day long. It is definately a performer. I have been so impressed I purchased another for when I fill this up. I have had no problems with the unit reading CDs I cut on my computer.

I give it a perfect 5 because I have had no trouble at all from day one. It did take 8 hours to type in all the discs, but that was done almost a year ago. You have my recommendation if looking to buy it, especially at clearance prices of $129.

Purchased At:   Circuit City