Nakamichi MB-2s CD Players

4.33/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Dual 18-bit d/a converters

Submitted by Steve Brant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought the Nakamichi MB-2s without any great expectations... $20.00. I have been using it for a year now with out any problems. I have had much more expensive equipment that failed me! Great changer... fine sound.

Purchased At:   junk store

Submitted by tbcquixote a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2005

Bottom Line:
Up until purchasing this unit on a whim, I was convinced that the important components to emphasize in a modest audiophile system were speakers (my maggies) and a stable adequate amp that had adequate amperage to work effortlessly with the speakers. CD players and DVD players I thought were more or less equivalent. Since the 80's I liked Nakamichi the sound of Nakamichi tape decks and their stong entry audiophile receivers. Like most people I think I have listened more and more to CD music (and my old Nak decks have rested more and more). I just never worried too much about that component. An opportunity came up to by an old MB-2 for $80 and I figured "why not, maybe it will work with my old TA-3A remote!" I have owned Sony, JVC, AKAI, Pioneer and other players and never really noticed much difference between them. In fact, the main difference seemed to be what disks they skipped on and didn't read well. I swapped it for my new JVC thinking I'd move that to my son's basement system, and WOW! The sound was so very different. It was clear, and the mids seems effortless and, well, more real. I put on a variety of music from female vocal Celtic stuff to Apocalyptica (cellos playing Metallica). The sound was all more round and less tinny without being at all muddy. It's like listening to fresh new recordings. I am still going through my music and listening all over again to all those recordings I thought I knew so well, and have put countless hours in listening over the last month. The last time I had to do this was when I switched my speakers to the Maggies.

The display took a bit getting used to. Not a lot of details and very basic display and controls. However over the month I have come to appreciate the uncluttered display. It lists the disk playing, the remaining tracks on the disk, and time in the current track.

Oh, about those unreadable skipping disks, it has played everything I have given it flawlessly, including various CD-Rs. The MusicBank system changes the disks quietly, quickly and efficiently.

Oh, and the variable output level control for headphones and for connecting to the pre-amp is just an added bonus. My only problem with the unit is that now I think I'll have to upgrade this part of my home theater and secondary system.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Goffesfalls a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
This CD player is the third home unit I've owned, and is by far superior to the Kenwood DP 460 and Denon DCD 600 I had. While I wasn't initially looking to buy a changer, the Nakamichi name was enough to persuade me. Well, after 8 years, I've found I'd have paid double for the machine what I did. Though reviews tell us that it was "unreliable", this machine had been flawless for 8 years, after NON-STOP use!!! Until....my austic son at age three found the opening tray more temptation than he could resist! After several times grabbing the tray, pushing, and pulling it, the machine gave in to the curious hands. Though needing only re-synchronization of the gear drives, no-one yet has been willing to take on the repair.

Purchased At:   Cookin'

Submitted by ALEX JEUDY a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I WAS BUILDIND UP MY SYSTEM STEREO,THEN A FRIEND GOT ME THE IDEA TO CHECK WITH A PAWN SHOP,CONVINCING ME TO GO SO MUST OF THE TIME THEY HAVE GOOD STUFF, SO I DID THAT WAS MY LUCKY STILL BRAND NEW TO ME.IALSO FOUND THE SINGLE CASSETTE DECK 480.

Purchased At:   Pawn shop

Submitted by robertwb1970 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit in late 1992 and have not had any problems with it-and I still use it daily-being rather old now I've been thinking of upgrading-problem is I have not found anything near this price that sounds as good-I think the qaulity of naks cd players went down dramaticaly after the one I have(mine does not look like the picture posted here)I think overall the sound is very well balanced-thats the best way I can put it-have not compared it to anything else in my system for quite some time though

Purchased At:   Rhein-Mein AF base-G