Nakamichi MB-1S CD Players

3.44/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Submitted by RAS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've been really impressed with this product. Sounds great as a transport and also through its analog outs. I have used an MB4 at my office for 8 years, 10 hours/day without a hitch, so when I decided to get a changer for home, after some disappointments with a couple other brands, I went to Nak.

The fellow I bought it from said it had worked well for him for 6-7 years, and so far it's worked fine for me. It's DAC sound is nicely detailed without being harsh, though it does sound even better as a transport into a modified Perpetual Technlogies P3A.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
After the demise of my NAK OMS-3 unit, I found this one for a fair price. If you find one, run, do not walk away from it. Although the sonic quality is very good, the construction and operation of the unit leave a lot to be desired. The "Music Bank" system is prone to fail as mine has been in the shop for a $100 fix.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
For simple sonic quality, nothing comes close to it for the price. I compared this unit against others, including some $1k transport/converter seperates. In my opinion, it had the best QPR.
However, this apparently comes at steep price. This particular unit's reliability is very poor. Not only has this unit been in the shop for repairs since I have owned it, but I have been informed that parts for this unit are no longer available. The main problem is the much touted "Music Bank" changer mechanism. It gets stuck all too often and is unreliable.
Whenever I see a Nak component, I always check to see if it still made in Japan or elsewhere (ie., China, Malaysia, etc.). It appears to me that the equipment made elsewhere is not up to the past quality standards that established Nak. IMHO, Nak's reputation for quality and reliability are questionable.

Submitted by robert scholl a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have to now downgrade my prior review to 0 stars. My Nakamichi tech says the MB1s is officially dead. Both the motherboard and the laser are totally shot. I really took great care of the unit, and I know electronics sometimes die, but I wouldn't have expected this from Nak.

Submitted by robert scholl a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've been a fan of Nakamichi products for some time, mainly because of their tape decks, so I decided to get an MB1S. I've enjoyed it for a couple of years until 3 months ago when it suddenly made a strange noise and read "error" on the display. The shop I took it too still has not even located the parts they need. They're very scarce. I may be out of luck unless they pull the parts out of a hat. I give this player 1 star for poor reliability.

Atlantic Technology: