Naim CDX2 CD Players

• RC5 input
  • Optional RS232 input/output

Submitted by Marcos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the XPS2 power supply for the CDX2. It also powers the CDS3, but it is not an option. To put it in a nutshell, the XPS2 allows the listener to realize the full potential of the CDX2. It fills in, fleshes out and expands the sound to the point where it poses serious competition for a high-end analog setup. While spending $10K on CD playback is serious business, the CDX2/XPS2 really gives the listener a taste of why audiophiles routinely spend this much and more.

The CDX2 is a fine player on its own. However, at the price, it may appear that it is not the greatest value on earth. This is true, but if you look at it as being able to purchase a world-class CD player in two steps, the Naim logic becomes clear. If you own a CDX2, you should definitely consider the XPS2 upgrade. It will take your player to a level you previously didn't think CD was capable of delivering.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Marcos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
The CDX2 is probably the most popular player among the Naim faithful. It has the traditional Naim traits - pace, rhythm and timing, but, as part of the new lineup, it also has a very respectable soundstage and sense of depth. At $5350, it has some stiff competition in the Meridian, Esoteric, Ayre... and should definitely be auditioned carefully before purchase. It has it's own character, which may or may not please your particular tastes. For my money (a lot of it, too) the Naim has a realism and musicality i've not heard in other players. It gives me more of the feeling I get from listening to live music than other brands, it that makes sense. It draws me in, holds my interest and makes me want to listen longer. I feel like i'm in the room with the musicians. In any case, the bar has been raised on CD playback with players like the Remiyo (17K), Naim CDS3 (14K) and others. In this context, the CDX2 is still a mid-priced player and one should not be searching for the grail at this price. Nevertheless, the CDX2 definitely exceeds, IMO, the musical capabilities of anything i've heard costing less money, which makes it a relatively good buy in my book. It can be further improved with the addition of a $4500 external power supply for those who are interested. If this review sounds lukewarm, it is not. One shopping in this price range should be extremely critical, but must also realize that, even at this price, they are not owning "the best". One audio reviewer once said (paraphrase) that there are only two types of components worth owning- the best and very close to the best for a lot less money. The CDX2 definitely falls into the second category.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Consciousmess a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
This cd player really excels with bass, giving a good balance across all frequencies. I point out the bass as this was the first thing I noticed that was different compared to my last CD player (a measly Micromega Stage 1). What I do think is essential with the CDX2 is good partnering equipment. Im quite sure my system doesnt allow it to show its full potential (a Naim NAC202 pre NAP200 power and B&W 805s speakers), so I expect the player not to be out performed right up to monoblocking and more audiophile speakers.

Purchased At:   Hifi shop ex demonst

Submitted by drawtheline77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
well what can i say I really wanted to like this unit alot...after extensive time with it...I did not...I didn't hate it,it was good in some areas but overall I felt it was too "electronic" sound ing for me.

At 5,000 I expected more,but maybe that is the Naim sound.
it is well built and worked fine, but I always found myself going back to my Linn Ikemi.

High End: