Musical Fidelity X-24K CD Players

4.65/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

24 BIT CD/DVD compatible DA converter

Submitted by PRAT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Kenwood 200 changer - Monarchy DIP 24/96 -
X-24K - Naim NAC 32.5 - Naim SNAXO 2.4 - 2 X Naim NAP 250 - Active Linn KAN.

Lot of music from CD's with the comfort
of changer were all my CD's reside.

Purchased At:   audio advisor

Submitted by PRAT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Kenwood 200 changer - Monarchy DIP 24/96 -
X-24K - Naim NAC 32.5 - Naim SNAXO 2.4 - 2 X Naim NAP 250 - Active Linn KAN.

Lot of music from CD's with the comfort
of changer were all my CD's reside.

Purchased At:   audio advisor

Submitted by Frank F. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just (2002) upgraded my system Again by paring the X-24k with the Super New GW Labs DSP Upsampler jitter reducer/reclocker. At $399 it makes a world of difference with the X-24k. Now I can Finally Upsample & reclock all my RedBook Cds to 96khz. Thank goodness I hung onto the X-24k. I have it paired with the X-PSU power supply & the x-24k's outs to an X-10D's ins to my NAD amp. The sound is black Backgrounds with More air & space between the instruments.
This set-up gives the Musical Fidelity $5000 3D cd player a run for the money......!
The GW labs DSP is a great add-on an now essential accessory & it blows away the D2D-1 from the parts connection. The X-24k is...... XXCELLENT!!! Frank F. DHVCD 2002

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Kenneth Lau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
Oh! No! I don't know why a lot of review give it such high rating for this product. I think the sound of X-24K is acceptable. When I bought a DAC, I hope it upgrades my system a lot. Yes, it upgrades my cheap Toshiba DVD but it downgrades my Denon CD player.

I am not happy about the sound. It is not warm enough compare with my Denon CD player.

There is some improvement when I change the four opamp to LT1057. But it still worse than my Denon CD player.

So my final solution is to take out the audio signal directly from the PCM1028 and then use tube 6922 to amplify the sound. The sound is great now but it costs me a lot.

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been using the x24 for about 4 months now and have finaly settled down with the sound of cd, I have only started with cd players in the last 18 months having spent many years with a linn lp12 and not realy liking the sound of cd.
I have listened to and owned many cd players over the last 18 months and found them all lacking, however, I decided to give the x24 a listen using a second-hand teac transport with a moonglow digital interconnect and was instantly impressed, the cd player I was using at the time was the cyrus dad3q and this was a very good player, but the x24 added far more warmth, the size of the sound staging improved and the whole system just sounded bigger and more enjoyable. All the detail was there, the bass had execellent control and extension and vocals just leapt out of the boxes. I and freinds have listened to teac x24 against several well respected cd players including linn audiolab arcam and naim and have found that is a match for many machines costing upto £1500. I have also recently added the XPSU and this is a worthwhile upgrade, I was not sure about the power supply when I first plugged it in, it had a very laid back sound but after a few days running in I would not be without it, the sound is now smother and there is less grain. The x24 is used with a linn lk1 lk2 pre power and celestion a1 loudspeakers.I have also tried the x24 against the Tag dac 20 using an audiolab 8000q px power and an proac response 1 loud speakers, the tag dac had slightly more detail and better resolution on the bass, but this was not massive and when you consider the price difference I would still go for the x24