Musical Fidelity A308CR CD Players

• Channel separation > 100dB 20Hz to 20kHz
  • Linearity < 0.2dB down to -100dB

Submitted by Sean a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
Not a bad cd player.

I have this setup with the TRI-VISTA 21 DAC, TRI-VISTA 300 Integrated Amplifier and a pair of Sonus Faber Electa Amator II.

Two things I don't like about this cd player:

1. Harsh sounding treble.
2. Thin sound (not sure what you pro's use to describe this)

I also own a Krell cd payer and a Teac cd player which has the Philips CDM1 transport.
I have to say the above two cd players sound better than the MF...perhaps personal taste???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this MF uses a Sony transport. From previous cd players which I have owned which also use the Sony transport (being ShanLing's CD-T1000se SACD player), I've found that the general trend with these sony transporters have all been to have the tendenc of a harsh treble.

Am I right in such a conclusion???

I've also connected the same setup to my Tannoy System 15 DMT II and I still come to the same conclusion.

Submitted by peterl69 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
Its incredible that a solid state player like this has such a lush warm and detailed analog sound. Bass, Midrange, and Treble are to die for. I personally like this player overall better than the new A5.

I bought an A5 and compared it at home to this A308CR player but took it back. No improvement in sound at all that I could see. The Rotel 1072 sounded harsh and grainy in comparison.

Purchased At:   Used at Audiogon

Submitted by JEFF_l a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I will make "no bones" about this CD player. It is fantastic! I use it with other Musical Fidelity equipment; A308 Integrated Amp, Tube Buffer between them. My first high end CD player was the original Rega Planet and I adored it for it's musicallity and pitch definition. Tried to upgrade, but was always let down, because the CD players didn't get the music right. The A308 not only get's the music right, but adds so much more low level resolution. If your source material is Red Book CD only this player is a must!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Upscale Audio

Submitted by NY1PR2002 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have been searching for quite a while for a good Redbook Cd Player and the search has ended here with the Musical Fidelity A308Cr.I have owned very good Cd players in the past for example,Denon DCD-1650 AR Rotel RCD-991AE Audiophile Edition, Rotel RCD-1070,1072 , Kavent CD931 Sony SCD-XA9000ES, Sony SCD-XA 777ES and many others with good results but I felt there was still something missing. Then I read about the Musical Fidelity line.I decided to purchase a unit (solid state) without having to go into tubes. That's when I decided to give this unit a try. Musical Fidelity A308Cr Cd Player is an Outstanding piece of equipment. I have to agree with the prevoius reviews on this unit. When you go back and start listening to your Cds you will hear things you never thought they were there. The sound coming out of this unit is Clear, Transparent, Detailed with a Terrific Sounstage.The bass is extended yet not boomy. It has one of the best Low level Resolution I have ever heard in a Cd Player in a while.When this Cd Player is Connected to a High End System with a High level pair of Interconnects( I used Acoustic Zen Matrix Reference ll) and you play your Cds you will hear sounds you never knew were there regardless how many times you have listened to your Cds before.It will take me a while to listened again to my whole Cd collection but it will be worth it. I know I will enjoy it very much.This Cd Player is that Good!! Better said this Cd Player is Outstanding!! If you can put aside the not so high end drawer mechanism you have an Audiphole Quality Cd player that will be in your system for quiet some time. It will be in mine for sure.If you are looking for a wonderful redbook Cd player give this player a try.I am pretty sure you will not be disappointed
It's really that Excellent!!

Purchased At:   www.Audigon.com

Submitted by ylim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I think I am an audiophile on an enthusiast's budget. This is as close as I will probably get to esoteric gear. The A308CR is built like high end gear but with some compromises to maximize cost benefits. The first place where I noticed trade offs was the CD tray; It feels a little flimsy relative to some of the other highend CDPs. Money was spent on the internal circuits and the case work. The chasis is ridiculously heavy for a CDP. The A308CR weighs in just shy of 40lbs. That's power-amp territory. In comparison, the A3.2CDP weighs roughly a third of the A308CR at 13lbs. Tray aside, the unit is very substantial. The bulk suggests its a serious piece of audio gear.
Sonically, the A308CR leans towards the the rich and warm side. It produces a full bodied sound with good weight in the lower octaves. Sounstaging is rather impressive; Imaging is what you would expect from gear in this category. I would characterize its pace and timing as being more laid back. Its very smooth and refine. At times, it can be too refine leaving me wanting a tad more edge on some music. The plus side is that it's very forgiving of bad recordings. Overall the sound is addictive and that's what matters most for me.

Setup: