Muse Electronics Model Eight CD Players

4.25/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $3500.00

DVD-CD Transport

Submitted by dil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review of the Model 9 Signature, where I intended to purchase a DCS Elgar SACD/CD player, untill I heard that Muse was backing the new high resolution formats.

I upgraded to the latest Model 11 and the extract of my mail to the Chairman, Mr Halverson, summs up my veiws.
__________________________________________
Extract:

During the time my Muse was away, a friend who is
the owner of two source components very kindly
offered me the use of his mid priced Sony SACD/CD
player. I was eager, as it was my first taste of the
format in my system. I was compelled to disconnect
the unit in an hour or so, as it was unbearable. He
then loaned me, the critically acclaimed Denon DVD
2900. I read Ken Kesslers report which described
this product as "high end sound at an affordable
price and 1 of 10 'must experience' products of 2003".
Once again, it had me questioning my decision to
invest in the new high resolution formats and the
accuracy of these so called expert opinions.
Subsequently, another colleague, who was going to be
out of the country, loaned me his new Krell standard
SACD/CD player which reassured me of the SACD format
and my decision.

Enter the Model 11, and to say that it far exceeded
my expectations, is an understatement. Having put it
through it's paces over the last eight days, here's
my impression.

To begin with, it has been trouble free since it was
powered up with effortless and accurate disc
recognition. Starting with CD, it is definitely an
improvement from my Model 9 signature and more
organic than the Krell player. As for SACD, once
gain, it sounds really good, even though I believe
the gap between well recorded CD and SACD to be
marginal yet worthwhile. DVDA is also stunning. All
in all, I am glad I postponed an initial decision to
invest in a DCS Elgar SACD/CD machine, which was
prior to my knowledge that you would be backing the
new formats, some two years or so ago. Your team and
you have out done yourselves yet again and reassured
me of my decision of becoming a die hard Muse
person. What I cant understand is the lack of
publicity this product/all your products is/are
receiving. Why don't you have a magazine such as Hi
Fi News review?

Purchased At:   Factory Direct

Submitted by Mike Prager a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my review of the Muse Model Ten (under the name Mike_in_NC). Longer listening has strengthened my opinion that the level of performance offered by the combination of the Muse Model Ten transport and Model One Ninety Two DAC is equalled only by the most expensive equipment I have heard. A remarkable achievement!

The ticking noise I commented on in the previous review has proven to be audible only under the very quietest cconditions (and we live in an extremely quiet area, with no road noise). It is audible only if (1) the windows are closed, (2) no one else moving about in the house, (3) the HVAC system is not running, (4) no water is running in house, (5) there are no cicadas, spring peepers, or crickets active outside, and (6) the music is in the very quietest passages of chamber music. I don't think it would be audible under any circumstances on video or pop music programs.

Submitted by mike_in_nc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Muse Model Ten transport. I am using it with the Muse Model One Ninety Two processor (connected by Muse's MapLink interface), and the audio is phenomenal -- as good as I've heard, with no trace of digititis. It is possible to tell a violin from a viola, and so on. Bass is stronger and treble is cleaner than with my previous (good) transport.

Although the combination will also play DVD and DVD-A, my review reflects CD performance only, as I don't own any of the others yet.

Purchased At:   Muse

Submitted by dilshad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am not one for posting reviews on any product despite being an avid reader. The simple reason, I havn't the gift of the scribe, however having read the review about the Model 9 Signature I felt obliged to share my experience with 'Muse'. After all, it would be a great pitty if this piece of equipmet should not get the recognition it so deserves.

I purchased the product factory direct as there are no agents for Muse in this part of the world.

I was dealt with by the companies president, Kevin Halverson. Contrary to the experience in the previous review, the service I recieved, far exceeded my expectations. I say this having reveled in the hi-fi market for almost a decade. Kevin responded to my numerous queries with lightenning speed and assited me through the purchase and followed through untill the product was at my door halfway across the World. In short 'Muse' has epitamised the phrase 'customer service'.

I Settled upon the model 9. Signature, having auditioned the likes of Mark Levinson, Linn, Tag, Krell et al. Music is my priority with movies considered as a bonus. Used with the right equipment, cables, interconnects etc the Model 9 Signature is capable of producing sounds that can only be described as phenominal. The reproduction of music through the 'analog' output is delivered with subtlety and fenesse that has eluded some of the supossedly exotic names that I have listened to in the market. However the best judge is the individual listenner. Listen for your self and make your conclusion. I intend adding a dCS SACD player to my system in the future however my Muse stays. It's here for good. I hope whoever decides on giving this product a listen will enjoy it as much as I do. From my experience, I can only state that 'Muse' is a highly customer oriented company and I haven't quite been the easiest customer to deal with.

Purchased At:   Factory Direct

Submitted by paul peterson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Model 9 Signature used via Audiogon. Now I know why the owner wanted to dump it.

Problem 1: very noisy transport. Easily audible in a quiet room. Ruins soft passages.

Problem 2: noisy power supply. Can be heard as soon as the machine is activated.

Problem 3: service. Returned the player to Muse. Upgraded power supply. They claimed they could not hear the transport. Right. No help.

Advice: avoid the company for its poor customer service and poor product.

Purchased At:   used by mail