Micromega Minium CD Players

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $695.00

Submitted by zazou a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought the Micromega minium kit about 2 months ago. I first tried it with the brand new J.M. Reynaud Twin speakers; the sound was really amazingly equilibrated and pure; even with less recent (and more modest) speakers : B and W series 200 , the sound is very pure and natural.
I agree with the other reviewers to say that this device is not for hard rock fans, more devoted for Jazz, classic, latino music (compay segunda sounds good !) or outstanding (female) voices (cesaria evora, Diana Krall....). I cannot say anything about the suitability, I will update the review on that point in some months.
For the price, Micromega seems to propose a very cool and honest (about 1400 $ for amp. + CD player + FM) tool.

Submitted by Ramanig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought a Micromega Prem 18 s\n 0043 in the UK in 1999 and took it to Sri Lanka. It performed beautifully, particularly for classical numbers and I was extremely pleased with my purchase. However, no sooner did the warranty expire than the player began to malfunction as it failed to read the tracks.
I took it to the repairers who wanted the circuit diagram to be able to repair it. I faxed Micromega and subsequently e-mailed them, requesting that they send me one. There was no response whatsoever.
I am bitterly disappointed. I am stuck with this player and am unable to play any music now

Purchased At:   Harrow-on-the-Hill,

Submitted by Guy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this cd player for my low-cost hi-fi system, in France it costs 2800 francs( about 300$ ), it is the new Minium brand from Micromega( since the beginnig of the year they have improved all Minium products with a little re-styling and 20% lower costs ). So now it costs the same as a Marantz, Cambridge Audio or Nad!, but you just have to look at this unit to see it is something very different... It´s built with the all-aluminium, black fascia of Micromega products, with a large screen of blue characters, it´s a cool look and superb construction.
and what about the sound?: smooth, detailed, great sound distribution... I think the best word is "natural" sound. The soudstage is better than a Rotel 971 for example, and the construction quality is as good as most 800/1000$ cd players. I don´t know how Micromega´s people managed to do this High End player at this price...
By the way, the Minium series are very reliable stuff, no reading problems any more!
My hi-fi team:
-Micromega Minium CD player
-Cambridge Audio A300 integrated amp
-Triangle ZephirII speakers
-Audioquest and Triangle cables

Purchased At:   Royal Audio

Submitted by Lucas a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
This player is excellent. I compared it to many other players of various makes and I have to say that the sound is great and easily compares to much more expensive models. If you want a reasonably priced player with great sound get this player, if you can get one!

Submitted by Laszlo Szabo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this Minium CD2 as a used one. It was used for approximately 2 weeks and the guy who bought took back to the shop because he had some problem with the unit. I tried it and i didn't have the problem. After a couple of weeks that problem with the software came up. I contacted Micromega and I received a new EEPROM for the unit so now it works 100%. Since that time I upgraded with LC Audio's LClock Xo and AD825 op-amps. Now the CD player beats lot of other CD players even some wihich cost $1000-$1500. i thinbk the bitstream technology is still very good.

SFLAT: