Meridian 508.20 CD Players

Submitted by pascualbenzo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
mi deseo era cambiar del 506.20 a otro nivel
mi sistema con sugden a21a,proac 125,siltech, probando la nueva experiencia con exito.
mi aficion por el jazz y la musica en general se vieron recompensadas con un sonido mas real que no natural.
mas calido,suave y verdadero.
ahora paso mas tiempo escuchando mis temas favoritos.
a favor: coherencia naturalidad,competitividad con otros de mayor precio
en contra: ninguno
similares:meridian 506.20-meridian 508.24-

Submitted by R390LM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
This review is for the original 508 CD player- the pre-20 bit version. All I can say is that it sounds natural and does not emphasize too much of anything. I agree with those that say the 508 is polite in tonality- it is just very relaxing. I also agree that it may lack dynamic drive, but, for that, I have the Conrad-Johnson PF-R. I have not listened to the 508.20 nor the 508.24. From what I have read, the "new 508" is livelier with dynamics now included. I think whichever 508 any of us own is a respectable product. The build quality is first rate and it is obvious it was made to be versatile. Apparently the Meridian 500 transport and 563 digital to analogue processor were so good, they were combined into this one chassis we call the 508. That says a lot in itself.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by silverpep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a killer CD player, especially at the current used prices. Smooth sounding player that is also very detailed. High resolution is an understatement. Great bass. This player does not sound compressed at all like earlier Meridian models. The soundstage is wide open and the sound is coherant and well balanced. Much better than any of the 506 series.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by pk676 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
My system comprises Thiel CS2.3 speakers & Perreaux 200ip amplifier. I have had the same CD player since 1994 due to the fact that no cd player I have auditioned up to £1500 has, in my opinion given any significant increase in performance over my Sony player These include the Meridian 506.24 & Classe. However, with this player I did not have to convince myself, the difference was absolutely clear to hear. This player has a natural, neutral tonal balance with extraordinary bass extension and slam. A very unique quality to its sound is that it provides all you could want in terms of dynamics and subtle detail without sounding anything like a digital source. It reminds me of the sound I heard 20 years ago at a friends house that got me hooked on audio. Its like listening to a top quality turntable. Its difficult to describe without hearing it but it is a most superb piece of audio which has brought a whole new level of performance from my other components. The one point I would stress is that you need to sit in front of this player for a good few hrs because on a short audition you may not find it that impressive, its not got a wow factor like some players that are may not necessarily be tonally acurate. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Heatherdale Audio

Submitted by JosephCoty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I truly can't imagine a better player for Jazz, Classical and female contemporary
Vocalists such as Sarah Brightman, Sarah McLachlan, or Charlotte Church.

This is the first player that allows me to listen for hours without getting a headache. Something that I realized I had not enjoyed since giving up my turntable 15 years ago.

The clarity is also much better than the Denon DCM-360 it replaces. I'm able to make out lyrics I've missed before, now that the veil is lifted.

Something else I've noticed is that I no longer feel the need to elevate the sound beyond moderate levels. In fact I'm not even tempted! Quite a shift for me.

Unfortunately this player does highlight bad recordings or CD's not recently mastered. Some are mastered at 24 bit which sounds terrific. Older CD's mastered in 16-18 bit reveal background hiss and lack excitement which distracts me enough to not listen to them anymore.

Finally the magic is not as apparent to me with Rock or Alternative music for reasons which I can’t explain other than that genre has distortion diffused throughout the music inherently.

I've included my system for those of you on a mid-fi budget. The cables and power conditioner made a huge improvement.

Adcom GFA - 555 Pro Model Amplifier