Marantz CD-85 CD Players

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Anatoli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
This CD player sounds greater than my McIntosh MCD7007 !

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by MW a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
better then nice sounding player
mine is modified(p-supply and output stage

Purchased At:   a friend

Submitted by Martin Brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought new about 12 yrs ago along with a Marantz PM75 and Mission Argonaut speakers. I still get as much pleasure from the system as the day i bought it, although not perfect it can still hold its own against newer players.
I invested in better quality cables etc a few years ago and that changed the sound, hard to say if it could be described as an improvement. Just looking at upgrading again but still find it hard to justify the expense for a small improvement. Overall, money very well spent.

Submitted by Carlos Costa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I would like to keep it for ever! Is there someone who can gime me an ideia how to improve it? I mean change transport mechanism, and DAC. I LIKE IT´S BOX AND LOOKING.I did compare it with a new Rega Planet. The rega is better but not so much considerng that they are 11 years different technologies.
It still has a good sound, I just need a more open soundstage with a litle more 3D. Sorry my poor english.
Ok I can buy a new one, but MARANTZ still works, and in ecological terms it´s a waist to send it to trash
Help me to save the planet and improve may good MARANTZ!

Purchased At:   Raio de Som

Submitted by Duncan Hayton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought my player secondhand in 1994 for £250 (£1000 new). Marantz refered to it as part of its "audiophile" range and it is distingushed from lesser Marantz models by its polished rosewood cheeks. Although these look nice, they make the player 3 inches wider than standard so make sure it will fit in your equipment stand.The player is also quite heavy, so make sure any shelving to be used is securley fastened to the wall.
It is well spec'd with both optical and co-axial digital outs and has the nifty FTS system. It has a very clear, full function remote.
My machine gets very heavy use and it has had no faults to date. I have had the machine over 6 years and it is about ten years old. Its build quality is excellent and it will read cd's my other players won't even look at!
Sound quality is very good. Punchy bass and mid, though treble perhaps not up to the standard of todays £1000 players, it will outperform anything available new between £150 & £300. I tried using it as a transport with a Roksan DA 1 (no improvement) and an arcam black box (different sound, but perhaps no better. Comparing the cd85 with other players on a different amp channel showed it had a lower output voltage than many others (perhaps a consideration for tube/valve enthusiasts?) to get a true comparison turn the amp up a bit!
I've upgraded every part of my system (some 3-4 times) over the past 6 years, but the cd85 still remains my main cd player. I spent more on my cartridge than the cost of this player! At $400 dollars (secondhand) it is a real bargain!

Purchased At:   Bill Hutchison, (hi fi shop) bought secondhand