Marantz CC-4000 OSE CD Players

3.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Original Special Edition 5 Disc Carousel CD Changer - Basically A CC-4000 With Special Edition Parts - Coaxial Digital Output Enables Use With Outboard D/A Converters

Submitted by ans1982 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOW!!!! I don't know what else to say. An amazing piece of equipment. So much more detail, and DEPTH. Really nice midrange too. I didn't know that compact discs had the chance of even sounding this good. I can't find any weakness, execpt the remote is a little slugglish. The price I paid includes 4 years of extra warranty on top of the 2 years that it came with, plus a digital coaxile cable (can't spell).The price is in Canadian dollars

Purchased At:   A & B Sound

Submitted by Rgiorgio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Don't know how this thing sounds. It didn't work right out of the box. Reads th CD but when you push play, nothing happens. Waiting for my replacement from John at audiosound.com. Seems like a quality piece of equipment. I own a few other pieces of marantz equipment and are all great. Emailed tech support at Marantz's web site(www.Marantz.com) and got a quick response. I informed him what had happened and that other owners on audioreview.com had the same problem. his response was that there is not a problem no matter who said what and good luck on the replacement. Everyone that sells Marantz equipment knows this player is prone to this problem. John at audiosound.com told me he was going to make sure the replacement works before he sends it to me because of this.

Purchased At:   audiosound.com

Submitted by Matt Cowan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Did I mention great sound... quite an improvement over my old crappy Technics changer (my wife even commented that it sounded much better!!)

Got a great deal on this cd player for $125. For this price, I really can't complain about anything.

Overall, I gave it a four... this is not based on price, rather that there are some definite flaws. But if sound quality, not features, is your ultimate goal... definitely give this CD player a listen.

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
This Marantz CC4000 OSE did not work right out of the box. Powered up, but did not read CDs at all. Read somewhere else on this site that Marantz has lately started manufacturing in China and models from China were of poor quality. This particular CD changer was made in China as indicated on the player. Am sending this one back and buying a Yamaha CDC-685 instead.

Purchased At:   LGD SuperStore

Submitted by Tom a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Yes, the remote is small and the response is sluggish. The display is so small and awful, it is essentially worthless.

All I can tell you is that I have =tried= very hard to find something that can beat it, and NOTHING sounded as good -- the 4000 OSE beat them all. That said, let me do something that virtually NOBODY else ever even mentions -- my comparison "methodology." Bottom line, if you don't do direct A/B comparisons with output levels matched, you really CANNOT tell the proper differences between components so "similar" as CD players are. I used the output level control on the Marantz's remote control to match levels, and I used Monster Cable "400" series interconnects on both units I listened to. I hooked both units up to my Pioneer VSX-9500S receiver, and used its remote control to listen to two copies of the same CD's playing simultaneously on both players.

I replaced the cheapie Sony CDP-CE215 changer with the Marantz -- it beat that easily. After I got tired of the Marantz's remote control and the small display, I started digging out "alternatives." I got out my old Pioneer PD-7050, their top unit from 1987, a 4x oversampler. This had previously beat out everyting I had ever thrown at it. But, the Marantz was slightly better. I'll describe the "better sound" below. I then dug out my Sylvania FDD304, another 4x oversampler from 1985. This was my second Philips machine, and the top of their line available in the US at the time. Again, the Marantz came out on top. I went on eBay, and bought the Sony CDP-C910, a high-end 10-disc magazine changer, and the Marantz fairly blew that away.

I also wound up getting my hands on a Technics 100-CD changer, which sounded like the cheapie Sony changer. I also bought the HK FL8380 brand new, but I didn't manage to hear it -- straight out of the box, the disc tray wouldn't open, no matter what I tried. I searched the unit, the box, and the manual for some kind of "transit screw" that might need to be removed, but found nothing. I took it back, swearing never to touch another piece of HK gear so long as I lived.

OK, so the Marantz beat all of this stuff. True, the differences weren't "incredible" or "ground-breaking," but if you truly listen for good sound, you could hear the differences. The Pioneer PD-7050 came the closest, but the Marantz beat that, as it did with everything else, in what I would call "delicate detail" that it revealed, compared to the other players which just kind of "barged through it."

Most telling was the track "It Doesn't Matter" from Alison Krauss's album, "So Long, So Wrong." This has a number of passages played by a mandolin, or other high-voiced plucked string instrument. The "delicate detail" produced by the Marantz made those passages sound much more "real" -- you could hear the changes the tones went through as the strings were plucked and then allowed to vibrate, whereas the other players just produced a much more "simple," less detailed singular tone. This kind of "delicate detail" was produced by the Marantz in a number of other pieces of music I played on the Marantz and the other given competitor at the time.

The Marantz also excelled with "imaging" qualities -- many of the other units were quite "flat" sounding. At no time did I hear anything from the Marantz that I felt was anything less than superb sound -- it was full, detailed, dynamic, with an excellent sense of "image." Indeed, it made every =other= player I compared to it sound lacking in one or more of those areas!

I must recommend this highly, because "the sound is thing thing." And, I certainly haven't been able to find anything that I preferred to it in any way!

Purchased At:   Local "high-end" shop