Marantz CD-10
Description: Massive CD player , excellent as transport

Submitted by colin shim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
A few months ago i purchased a CD10 off Ebay to run along side my fairly expensive Myryad CD player.However allthough an old machine I couldnt believe the weight and quality of this unit. (its amazing). I gave it a day to warm up 1st and then went for it. WOW. I know this was an expensive piece of kit in its day, but it still holds good against anything ive owned (full of detail). It can be a bit bass heavy if your not looking for extra bass, but canging interconnects to an expensive silver type sorted that out and retrieved even more detail and improved the top end.The lower mid is lacking slightly but the rest is so good its worth the sacrifice.This has now replaced my other machines in the 1st system as i cant stop smiling everytime its played. However 1 word of warning, if you put c**p in you get c**p out. It rewards heavily on good recorded material. And (although old) if you get a chance to hear 1 or better buy 1 cheap then if youve got the rest of the gear to go with it, then I think you will love it as well!

Submitted by Richard Wagenaar a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
When digital format was conquering Holland, I stuck to my record player. (Thorens/Orthofon) In a direct comparison we thought that the first machines of Sony or Philips were defective. So they were returned to the dealer. (1985-6) Yep, all my friends laughed at me. (All those guys that are reinstalling their old or new turntables now, you know). I tried some cd players over the years but we were not "hooked". That changed a bit when I bought and "tweaked" the Denon DCD-970. After the laser broke down I spend more than 3 months looking for a dependable, transparant, natural sounding and detailed cd player that could keep up with the Onkyo direct drive record deck I was using at that time. With the CD-10 in the house my cd collection started to grow. Now it has to keep up with a "tweaked" Rega Planar 3 with a Sumiko Blue Point Special (the van der Hull version) and it is still doing fine.
It gives you that feeling of "being there". It put sweat on the upperlip of my insurance agent, when he listened to Roughest place in town by Stevie Ray Vaughan. He came over to listen, because I needed insurance for the whole lot.
We don't need Q-sound to be "surrounded" by music. Listen to "She wrote it down and burned it" by John Hiatt and hear those guitar frills stretching out and passing your ears far left and far right. You can even follow the lyrics from Fish, every word. I don't play classical music. I like symphonic music (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Marrilion) as well as Zappa (sensational Q!) Listen to "Apostrofy" and let Nanook rub ya! Blues and Rock, from Aerosmith to Deep Purple. Sometimes I wonder if it should have been a better move to buy the Teac VRDS-10. Because it sounds very simular, but has the better VRDS transport. So, for compensation I sometimes use "the Mat" in the CD-10. It's a rubber mat that is put on top of the cd, damping it's vibrations, and therefore gaining more detail from badly balanced cd's.
It's working in an all tube system, and it fits in like a glove. Used many different cables over the years out of curiosity, but because it's HDAM amplifier module has low output impedance, and the tube pre has a high input impedance, cables only make a slight difference. I have the display switched off and to avoid problems with the electrical digital output, I put in a plug with a 75 Ohm resistor. Now I'm happy with it. It's succesor the CD-16 (?) is not performing any better, however it higher price. So, I don't wanna buy a different one, and stick with the CD-10!

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
Meaty bass, good dynamics but unfortunately the mid to high end pulls the rating down. When playing Handel's Water Music (Harmonia Mundi)the strings had an artificial timbre to it and when playing the 'Distant Thunder' CD, the top end sounded a bit jarring. The CD63 does better in all these areas for much less.

Submitted by frank essink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
The CD10 is worth it's weight (it's heavy!). Currently used in a system with Final 0.3 (dutch) electrostats and Pathos Classical One Amp, Siltech cabling it is outstanding in detail, timing, naturality.
I play all kinds of music and the CD10 does it all very well.
I also have Marantz CD63KI (I use for CDR recording), which is also very good, but has a more upfront (in high frequencies) and spectacular character. The CD10 is more audiophile.

Submitted by Kenny a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have been using the CD10 for nearly 6 years now without any problems. Compared to a Krell DSP Mk2 of similar vintage revealed that it wasn't far behind in terms of clarity and detail even though it was a quarter of the price.
I have recently changed an Audioquest Ruby 3 interconnect for a Russ Andrews Kimber attenuated CD cable which has improved detail and making everything more relaxed. The player sits on a Audiophile Base platform on top of a Sound Organisation rack.

System: