Kenwood CD-206 CD Players

5 Disc CD-Changer with digital outputs

Submitted by Samsingha a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice unit, especially for the money. I first bought a Sony (can't remember the model) but had to return it because it got stuck while playing a CD or something like that. Went back and decide to get the Kenwood because it was in the same price range. When I came back and hooked it up. I found that the sound is nicer and warmer than the Sony I returned !!! The Sony produced sounds that were somewhat higher and less pleasant. I was glad that I got this one instead.

I just bought a Denon receiver (DRA685) and now the sound is even livelier than before. So, match it with a nice receiver and you'll get a great sound. Match it with an ok receiver, and you'll still get great sound. Money well spent, IMHO.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Dino a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
This Cd player is definitly worth buying, it has very good sound quality. It is very quiet and it goes very well with a technics reciever and Energy speakers. And all the highs and lows are accurate as can be. I highly recommend this product to some one who loves cds.

Submitted by Russell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
The auto play at power an can be a little annoyance but if you power on you are there to push the stop button anyhow. The two digital as well as analog outputs give you a nice option for output and the sound quality is fine.

Submitted by paul a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
This isn't a review as much as is it a response to David Rue. First, I don't work for Kenwood. I have a very similar 2 year old CD-204 and it's features are available on the CD-206. You mentioned a "low STN." I believe you are implying a poor signal to noise ratio. The unit is spec'd at 100 dB S/N, hardly poor.
You also mentioned the inability to cue back or forward and display time remaining without using the remote. That feature is available on the player as well as on the remote. I know because the owners manual for the 204 and 206 are the same. I have also performed these operations on the player directly.
Your issues with a popping noise sounds like a quality issue specific to your unit. I have never heard it on the 204.
By the way, after 2 years of listening to the CD-204, I am still pleased with it. This is after listening to highly regarded models like the Meridian 508.24
I am rating this unit only because I'm required to.

Submitted by David Rue a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product to accompany my Kenwood VR 309 receiver amplifier. I liked the features that it had, two digital outs, decided I could live with the low STN ratio.

I owned the changer for two weeks and decided I could not live with the kwirks any longer. My first annoyance occoured when I noticed a very audible pop in between tracks. The pop also came up when ever I would press pause and play. I first thought it was due to an optical connection so I converted to the Coaxil. The problem stayed.

Furthermore, the unit is basically featureless in conjunction with Kenwood universal remotes. You cannot display time left..., nor can you cue back and forward. You have to pick up the CD player's remote to do that.

Lastly, the display is insufficient. I don't need disc titling when barely one percent of my collection would display anyting.

Kenwood has chosed to build a CD player with many bells and whistles, but lacks integtity. What good is an optical out(for cd burning) if everytime I press play the POP! is recorded too. Sorry to be a curve buster on this rating, but I was not satisfied and am opting for a Sony 5 disc changer at the same price.

MS 1400W: