Kenwood CD-203

Submitted by Cbip Burns a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Kenwood CD 203 is exactly what it is advertized to be. After over a year of owning it I will say it works well. There are no bells and whistles but it is a solid machine that sounds fine. The only complaint I have is I can not use the VR 209 remote with this unit. I am not sure why it won't work or even if it is the CD players fault. I just know that it doesn't work. I have tried other "universal" remotes but they too will not work the remote. Minus the remote issue it does exactly what a base CD palyer should.

Submitted by Jerry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this for use in the family room, along with the Kenwood 309 receiver, so not having a remote was not a concern. I did a quick sampling of cd players in Circuit City, and the Kenwood was as good if not better than the others for ease of use. (I don't mind putting time into the shopping experience, but once I get it home, I just want it to work - I don't want it to be frustrating!) Also, I don't know why everyone complains about Circuit City - believe me, I buy and return a lot from them, and I have NEVER had a hassle returning something if I do not like it.

The Kenwood finish is nicer, the unit is heavier, and the operation of the unit is nicer than the Symphonic (purchased "open box" for $40 for use in the kid's play room), so spending a little more does get you more.

Overall, I like Kenwood products for use by a family, as they look and sound nice, while being easy to use. I have two Home Theater systems, and now the CD-player, and have been pleased with all of the equipment.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Picked this one up for $149CDN at Future Shop the first one had a D/A failure on arival. Since this appears to be end of line took the floor model.

If you can get beyond the fact that Kenwood has refurbs because they need to because they are made in China and you are the quality control this is an excellent CD player with PCM Optical Audio outs and good mechanism.

Hooked into a Kenwood AVR-209 it is fully integrated as a system component and pushes the receiver into CD input as soon as you push play.

Kenwood uses the same electronics in all their lines now and the sound quality is excellent reads CDR's flawlessly.

But buy from a location you can return to if it is DOA.

Submitted by claude ross a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
its alwright