Denon DCM380 CD Players

Submitted by BirchStone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
Not pleased with my PC CD player sound quality for "Blackeyed Pea". Went to Fry's to get this "floor-sample" for less than $90.00

Only used it at work so there isn't any other audio devices but direct listening through the Phone jack.

To truly appreciate the quality of this player, I've invested Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphone, which costs me almost the same as the player. :-)

The hi frequency is rich and with full expression.

The low frequency is full and "tasty" without breaking my ear drum.

The voice range is also hi-fi from listening MP3 tracks.

The remote came with the player controls the overall volume output through Phones jack. No other adjustment available.

Only had one bad incident when I misplaced a CD outside the disc "notch". The player won't play. I powered it off. Tried to open the tray several times and finally it opened. The player was back normal after I re-aligned the CD with each disk holds on the carousel.

Submitted by JGRaymond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
My second copy of this multi-disk CD player has failed!

Same problem described by other reviewers: laser pickup fails to acknowledge disk(s) present in slot, now carousel mechanism fails to respond to Disk Skip commands.

The laser problem first surfaced five months after purchase. Local store facility "repaired". Problem recurred seven months later, this time within days of end of warranty. Returned unit to Denon, Pine Brook, New Jersey. They returned it to me with exactly the same problems!!!! Sent it back. This time they replaced with new unit.

Now, that second unit has failed similarly, 21 months later. I guess that's quite an improvement.

Conversation with rep at Pine Brook confirms these "mecha" problems were characteristic of the DCM-280/380 series. Assures that the current models, DCM 290/390, are re-engineered: carousel mechanism and laser pick-up. He has handled no complaints about these newer models.

Rep claims that purchase of Denon by D&M Holdings has brought considerable improvement to company and products. However, Denon continues to operate its own engineering and manufacturing.

May take a chance on another Denon multi-disk changer because, with other reviewers, I consider the sound produced excellent. But this time I'll ignore Consumers Reports and buy a multi-year warranty!

Purchased At:   SoundTrack, Denver,

Submitted by plynch19 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I puchased this unit based on the good price and the good reviews of the dcm-370 (which is basically the same unit both internally and externally). I do most of my listening on a pair of Grado sr-60 headphones. The unit is of questionable build quality, almost immediately had trouble with the changing mechanism, it occasionally skips cd's entirely and is extremely loud. Besides that, I have never had a problem once the cd actually plays, it does well with both burnt and scratched cd's, never skips. The sound is rich, the treble is detailed and fluent (exciting.... its gets you into the music). It's extremely non-fatiguing, even on headphones. Voice and midrange are warm and of good quality. Mid bass and bass are okay, some detail in deep passages are lost - I don't know if this is the grado's or the player itself. HDCD's sound fantastic, try Dave Brubeck's time out, track 3 "take five" is amazing. This unit is a great deal if you can deal with the changer. This is my first experience with hdcd and I'm looking for more given my experience with this player.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by TWEAKSTER a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
Had this player for a couple of days and am still breaking it in. But even still: What a difference a dedicated CD Player makes over my recently-purchased Sony DVP-NC665P DVD/CD Player/Changer! The Denon produces cleaner bass, much more stable sound staging, and much less listening fatigue than the Sony DVD player. Have not tried the analog hook-up--only the digtal link. The innerds look solid and beefier than the older Denon changer I had.

Purchased At:   DAKmart

Submitted by Levike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I already reviewed this product, but I've been using it for long periods of time, and it has changed the perfomance to outstanding, especially if you are using an Integrated Amp with this cd player.
The next thing on my list is the Denon PMA 2000IVR Integrated Amp, I can't even imagine how that will perform.
We will see when I will get it.

Purchased At:   Etronics