Denon DCM-65 CD Players

2.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

5 disk changer w/HDCD

Submitted by shlomi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have this unit for about six months now, and I am completely happy with it. The build quality seems perfecty fine to me - I guess the guys who complained about it here are looking for stuff which can be found in models which retails for $1000s.

The unit is rather big and heavy - certainly not cheap feeling or looking. Display is excellent - good color controllable brightness, all the details you need - although it would have been nicer to show 20 song indication instead of the measly 16 there is.

The burr-browns do an excellent job, and hdcd is a welcome addition - sot so much software available, though.

I have a problem with the repeat-all discs mode, which keep lapsing to all-discs (no repeat), whenever you make some change. I guess maybe they do it to save the laser-eye from fatigue, but it can be annoying if you just want your discs to play in a row forever.

There is some clunkiness when discs are changing - but this is really a non-issue. The volume this unit outputs is very high - much higher than any of my other sources. This can be slightly bothersome, if you switch from another source and forget to adjust the volume in advance, but again, it's nothing.

All in all, this is a really excellent unit, which should satisfy anyone who is not a devout audiophile. This is a perfect choice for any serious audio/video enthusiant, and will suit anyone except those who are really really picky.

Submitted by James Hiller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I reviewd this product, I don't know, about a year ago or so, and I am still happy with the unit considering its price. However, the build (with emphasis) is cheap. I suppose you cannot throw dual burr browns in a unit and offer a quality build for under $300. So, I consider it--as I do most cd units--disposable. When the tray becomes even more sluggish and noisy, I will throw it out.

Purchased At:   local store

Submitted by Joseph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
DESPITE THE LISTED WEAKNESSES, WHAT SHOULD I HAVE EXPECTED FOR UNDER 300.00 BUCKS? THE SOUND IS OUTSTANDING. SLIGHTLY ROLLED OFF HIGHS (WHICH REALLY FIT IN WITH MY PARASOUND MONOBLOCKS AND MAGGIE MMG'S). I AM AMAZED AT THE RICHNESS OF TONE AND SPACE THAT THIS CHANGER PROVIDES. I ONLY HAVE TWO HDCD'S AND I DID HEAR A HUGE DIFFERENCE WHEN PLAYED ON THE DCM-65. THE OUTPUT WAS MUCH LOUDER AND CLEAR. I DON'T KNOW IF THE HDCD DECODER REALLY MAKES REGULAR CD'S SOUND BETTER AS CLAIMED, I THINK THAT THE BURR BROWN DAC'S MIGHT BE WHAT REALLY MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. I HAVEN'T ENCURED ANY OF THE PROBLEMS THAT ANY OTHER OWNERS HAVE AS YET, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE REVIEWS FOR THIS CHANGER ARE SO DIFFERENT FROM THE DCM-370 WHEN THEY ARE THE SAME PLAYER.
WHEN I WENT TO ORDER THE DCM-370 FROM THE DENON DEALER IN MY AREA, HE EXPLAINED THAT THE 65 AND 370 WERE THE SAME, IT WAS JUST THAT THE 65 IS WHAT DENON SELLS THE CUSTOM INSTALLERS AND THAT THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE. I ALMOST INSISTED THAT I GET A 370 BECAUSE OF THE BAD REVIEWS. WELL GOOD SENSE AND TRUST OF MY DEALER WON OUT AND I AM SATISFIED.
ANYONE WITH REAL WORLD FINANCES SHOULD HEAR THIS PLAYER BEFORE CHUNKING DOWN HALF A MORTGAGE PAYMENT FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

Purchased At:   Intelligent Electronics, Raliegh, NC

Submitted by James Hiller a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I cannot recommend anything in the price range. Try a Rotel if you have another 200.

Submitted by Dan The sound man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a story of misfortune, mine. I purchased this unit from U-bid, for 119. It is a refurb. unit. That says a lot. I knew I took a chance, but I figured Denon it had to be good. Packaged arrived I plugged it in and the first thing I noticed was the LED's Display was missing segments and the indicators for the Disk numbers wasn't working. It did play music though and not to bad either. The next thing I noticed was the platen was REALLY REALLY CHEAP!!! The unit looked great until I turned it on. I should have figured since this is the junk that denon sells through sears it couldn't be too good.
Needless to say I am shipping this baby back to UBID. When I first started bidding from UBID over a year ago I always received good equipement, in the last month I purchased several items and I had to ship three back for poor quality. This was the only refurb unit.

CSB 1206 BLK: