Denon DCM-35 CD Players

3.17/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

Submitted by rainman250 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
The price above includes Ubid’s exorbitant shipping charges. For the money, this is a decent CD player. I would have been quite disappointed, however, had I paid the $200 these things typically go for.

I am running this with an old stereo, so I was not too particular about the features or the quality of the unit. For the $50 that I paid, this player will do. Having said that, I was surprised and disappointed at the overall quality of this unit. It is replacing a Sony ES player that died, so it has a lot to live up to.

I find the sound quality to be decent. I am not sure if some of the other reviewers got bad units, or if they’re just pickier. I am running this unit on an old Philips FR-60 Receiver with Klipsch KG2 speakers. I’m using gold-plated cables for the CD Player-Receiver connection. Given the age and caliber of the system, music sounds crisp and clean.

On the down side, the disk changing mechanism is cheap and clunky. I do not expect this player to last long. I am surprised that Denon would put its name on a player with such poor construction.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by Robin Miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this for $99 at a Sears sale this morning, and i'll be returning it tomorrow. It's a nice looking system and it's a Denon, so i figured it would be a good deal to go with my Sony MDR-V6 (7506) cans.

Nope. The sound is piss poor. Very 'grainy' mids and highs, and muddy bass. In vocal music, it seems like all the wrong frequencies are emphasized, while with instrumental classical music, the texture is made confusing.

Overall, the sound coming out of my Apple Powerbook G3 is superior in every way, and computers aren't known for their awesome DACs.

At $99, it's a decent deal for someone who isn't fussy at all and uses cheap speakers/cans, but otherwise, bleh.

Purchased At:   Sears clearance sale

Submitted by Charlie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had this CD player for some time now and I would say it suits me well. I paid only $170 for it and say it was well worth it. The overall sound quality is good, it plays burned CDs without any problem, and is very easy to use. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good but not too expensive CD player. I would not recommend it to an audiophile, or anyone who has very high expectations in sound quality, it would probably not meet their needs.

Purchased At:   NetMarket.com

Submitted by Doug a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased it from consumer-direct.com, and am happy with it so far. Sound is clear and nice. I looked at better ones when I was researching. but, people suggest me not to spend a lot in CDP. For under 200 bucks, this is an excellent unit.

Submitted by Eileen Dunn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
very average -with preamp help,disappointed with sound quality overall. Not sound quality I hoped for.15 year old Pioneer easily exceeds quality of this component.It acts loud and clunky with disc loading and exchange.

BLG CP024: