Denon DCM-290 CD Players

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

• 5-disc carousel design
  • Disc exchange
  • 32-track programming
  • Coaxial and optical digital outputs
  • Headphone jack
  • Signal-to-noise ratio 108 dB

Submitted by rooney_tx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I’ve owned a Denon DCM-290 CD changer for a couple of weeks. This is my first CD changer. It is noisier and slower than a single disc model, but the sound is amazing. I bought this model specifically for the ability to play MP3 and WMA files because my decades old CD collection is on Windows Media Player and/or iTunes. It is connected to a semi-old school Yamaha RX-596 stereo receiver at 85w/ch and a pair of Paradigm Titan speakers. This is my home office set-up.

Most of the following is in the manual, but here is the nuts and bolts version. Playing WMA files is easy; just burn them to the root directory of a CD. No directories, they must be in the root. I’ve used CDR’s and CDRW’s with equal success. The WMA light will illuminate when the changer recognizes the file. The Windows Media Player burn feature works fine, haven’t tried iTunes.

MP3s are a challenge. They must be burned using ISO9660 Level 1 format. The point to remember is long file names are not supported. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is using CD burner software that will convert the file names to the proper format; upper case, etc. I’ve been using the freeware version of ISO Creator and it works great. You can mix MP3s and WMAs on the same CD and the player recognizes and plays both. The only catch is the freeware version limits the image to 300MB rather than a full CD.

If someone has an easier method of burning a mix of WMA and MP3 files to the proper format, that would be great news.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Scott Robb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have owned a LOT of high quality stereo and surround equipment in the last 35 years. I love Denon equipment and have or had a large number of their stuff. I was using a DCD-690 and have had a DCD-425 as well as DCD-1500. All are from the last Century. I came across the DCM-290 at a thrift store marked $35. I tried it and it worked perfectly. So I brought it home. I tried a variety of music formats played at a significant but not objectionable volume level. The soundstage and clarity the DCM-290 produced astounded me! I could actually hear the performers breathing!
Despite some of the negative reviews that I have read, I find nothing wrong with my DCM-290 and plan to use it a long time. I always thought a single disc player had to be superior to a changer. This changer has
changed my thinking along that line.
So, the DCD-690 will go on eBay as all the other equipment I've gotten rid of has since joining in 1998.

Associated equipment: Adcom GFP-565 pre-amplifier, Adcom GFA-585 power amplifier, Optimus Pro 4000 speakers (living room) Polk Eosone component speakers in the home office.

If you wish to explore more of my equipment, current and in the past go to:

Submitted by mwicks a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I picked this changer up as a replacement for my Technics PD8 changer. I was looking for something new with a better DAC. This changer was within my price range, and Denon has a fairly good reputation.

Purchased At:   eBay