Denon DCD 1500 CD Players

Double Super Linear Converter, 3 Beam Pick Up, Digital Filtering, Progammable, Headphone Jack, Remote.

Submitted by Hokey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have had a Denon DCD 1500 player in my setup since I bought it in 1987. Never have had a problem with it. I have had other CD players in the setup because I want to connect the player to the preamp using XLR's. Other players (exception Sony) have produced great sound. However, they all had a fatigue factor. I can listen to music from the Denon for as long as I please, without fatigue. Fortunately, I have been able to borrow other players to try in the system. This is so important when you consider players in the $2000-$6000 range. I am anxious to try the new Sony SACD player. My past experience with the Sony's has been that they were to shrill and fatiguing. This should never happen in my setup: Classe CDP 47.5 preamp to Classe CA 200 and 201 amps via MIT XLRs to B&W DM3000 speakers via Nordost cables. In my youth, I worked as co-op engineer, at the Baldwin Piano Co. We built an electronic piano and when it was demonstrated for the president, he almost immediately commented that "It sounds like frozen meat balls rolling down a tin roof". I had the same feeling when listening to past Sony players. When he didn't like something he had a great comment. "Send it to the warehouse." I will never send the Denon DCD 1500 to the warehouse. One thing that I found was that isolating the player on a solid surface makes a difference. My next move is to get the best sounding analog cables to connect the Denon. Let me know if you have found a great match.

Submitted by Vette82 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've had this Unit since 89 and prefer it to my Wadia which I only kept for 4 months. Another reviewer hit the nail on the head; if you have high end equipment this unit and its brother DCD-1500 II are marvelous units and in all these years not one repair needed. I have a pair of 14,500.00 speakers, Bryston mono blocks etc. DENON never fatigues on my long listening sessions.

My suggestions if you buy on eBay looking for these DENONS, make sure the belts have been changed or buy a kit and do it yourself. I've been lucky and my 1500II and my 1500 both are still kicking butt as though they were just removed from their shipping cartons..

Submitted by Mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
Based on a glowing review by Gordon Holt, I bought one of these when the model was new. It was terrible, far worse than my moderately priced turntable with Shure cartridge. I complained to Denon, and they replaced it with a handpicked unit, which was no better. It may have been better than other CD players at the time, but CD players have improved a LOT since then. I would not recommend that ANYONE buy one of these now at any price -- unless you just don't care about sound.

Submitted by Kiwi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2009

Bottom Line:

This is the best CD Player I have ever heard in my system. I have had in the past, NAD 502, Cambridge 300SE, Micromega Stage 1, Onkyo DX700, Nakamichi OMS 2A.

So far off all the cd players I have listened to in my sytem or elsewhere, this offers the best and a non-fatigue sound.
It is from 1985-1987 era.

It is not boring at all, you will enjoy the quality of sound this offers.

They are available on ebay almost on a daily basis. Not sure why people want to sell these, such a great souding cd player, does not have the harsh and bright sound most cd players offers which includes some high-end units as well. In the name of detail, they give you a sound which you cannot listen for much long, now I certainly do not want that.

I want something which I can enjoy for hours and not get tired of it.

They are fairly cheap too, on the used market so you can easily buy and try it, and do not forget to post your honest review here.

Wood Technology: