Cyrus DAD-3 CD Players

Submitted by Peter Mercer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Initially bought the DAD3 (ex-demo) so I got it for a reasonable price (about £450 sterling however I had prolems with the cd skipping toward the end of longer cd's. The player was sent for repair and after 2 weeks it was returned free of charge with the same problem. I asked for a replacement player, I was given a relplacement ex-demo and have had no problems since. Though sometimes the cd will not load (this occurs very rarely, and I have seen this malfunction on many players).
I was satisfied with the sound of the initial cd player however this was my first decent hifi purchase. Smooth warm sound lacking a little detail but good bottom end. Upgrades I went for the 20 bit DAC (purchased recently for £100 because it is now old stock) the original RRP for the dac is £300. I would have been disappointed if I paid the RRP but at the lower price it was well worth it much more depth increased definition in the higher frequencies. The recent addition of the PSX-R has had a small improvemt however it hasn't played in yet and the soundstaging is improving all the time. Despite my gripes which are similar to other reviewers, the cd player beats the pants of most in and above its price range (particularly after upgrades)it is smooth detailed with rich bass. At high volumes it rocks and as with most Cyrus stuff sound great with classical chamber orchestras, acoustic, jazz. Try it with Qunex Silver Spiral interconnect or Chord Chameleon) i have used both.
Well worth the time and effort, upgradable route allows you to spread the cost if on a tight budget.

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence UK

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is an extremely good player with the Q module. I've heard many very expensive players, including krell and Mark Levinson and, with a good system around it, the DAD3Q is very close. It has wonderful dynamics, crisp presentation and accuracy. Very close to those others and not as good though because of the front to back perspective doesn't quite come up to their very high standards, (though they also have a very high price tag!)
My only problems with the player have been a slight error now and then with the CD tray which tends to occassionally close half way and then open again, strange and a bit of a shame considering how it performs sonically, not to mention the excellent build. Also it sometimes needs two goes at recognising a disk, but this is very occassional. I love this player and I upgrade my system (cyrus and Project, with my own speakers) around it and feel I can always rely on it's ability to clearly show any improvements or in-accuracies in the system. I use it as a reference when listening to changes in my own speaker designs and If that doesn't say how good this player is to me, than I don't know what will!

Submitted by steve walker a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have the q module and the psx-r power pack. For its price (and its not cheap in Australia)I think that it adds credibility to a lively and realistic sound. It has loads of power with the psx-r and can blow your brains out if you are into heavy stuff or it can whisper for delicate strings.The next step in the "improvement chain" is close to twice the price so I am happy with what I have got and I believe that a 24 bit super upgrade is due out in May 2000. That is the other thing I like, its upgradeability. I have experienced no problems with its build quality.Equipment used:
N.E.W P3 pre
XLO Type 1 interconnects
Ortofon Interconnects

Submitted by Dan Sibert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
A good CDP for a secondary system. Sound slightly digital by itself but readily upgradeable with Q-module dual mono DAC and PSX-R external power supply unit. With belt and braces added, sounds fluid and believable. Not quite top grade but easily as good as some more expensive CDP. Ideal in a secomndary sytem or for a smallish room. My only complaint is the reliability issue. I had my first dAD3Q replaced because of a faulty transport mechanism. Its replacement has also been sent back for servicing twice because of faulty laser mechanism. This is the thing that really annoys me. I have no complaint about its sonic attributes. Its reliability lags far (VERY FAR) behind though.

SOUND : 4.0 STARS
LOOKS : 5.0 STARS
VALUE : 4.0 STARS
RELAIBILTY : -4.0 STARS
OVERALL : 3.0 STARS

MS 1400W: