Carver Audio MV 5 CD Players

3.09/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've installed many of these units and cannot recommend them to anyone. Even though the sound is really pretty good for a changer (not as good as the SD/A-360 of the TRUE Carver era) it's build quality is nil.

Don't waste your money...

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
The first thing I noticed about this unit was the weight and build quality. The face plate is of alumimum and the case is of a heavy gage steel. Compared to the changers I have experince with or others in its price range of $400.00-$500.00. The Carver is far superior in this aspect.
I like the grey rubber controls on the unit. They add a nice feel as well as a contrast to the black.Everyone who sees the unit makes comments on how they like the looks of the MV-5.
I have not had any problems with the reliabilty of this unit.Everything works as designed.I bought mine through Everett Audio (ex-Carver guys). They went through mine before I bought it.It seems that there were some quality problems from the factory on some units.
I love the sound of the MV-5. I could not belive the difference between my Elite and the Carver.I did'nt think there would be much of a difference if any. The Elite sounded some what harsh on the highs compared to the Carver.Not that the Elite sounded bad, its just that the Carver sounded more natural/realistic.The bass was a tad tighter as well.
In the end I can only recommend this unit based on my experince.For the $175.00 I paid nothing comes even close.Even for the retail price of $450.00 its a tough act to follow.
I have my system in a dedicated listening room.The room is 20'D x 16' W with an 8'6" ceiling.There is only one chair and one table besides the system in the room.My system consists of the following componets below.
Carver A-500x Amp
AR Pro Series Interconnects

Purchased At:   Everett Audio

Submitted by Richard a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
A very nice unit for the money. Better sound is available for three times the price. The unit has survived 4 moves (one across the country) and continues to please. I've had mine for 3 years.

Submitted by John Roe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I know you are only supposed to place one review per product. . . but this unit deserves two. I think consumers should have a right to know as many details about a product before buying it.

I bought the MV-5 about 2 years ago and although the sound quality has been decent. . . the product keeps breaking down and malfunctioning. I've has this unit replaced because of problems with the tray (kept coming out during play and not closing). After I got my new unit, it kept mixing up my cd's in the tray so almost every day i had to open it up and pull the clogged cds out. There were also a slew of new electrical problems with the new unit. On top of that because my cds would keep getting stuck lots of them got scratched pretty bad. I ended up buying 8 cd's i already had just to replace the scratched ones. It got to the point where I was about to physically destroy the unit (I mean with an aluminum baseball bat). I finally got a minimal trade in value for it and bought a Nad 515 cd changer unit which has been absolutely superb.
I am currently running B&W 602 S2's for the front, B&W LM1's for the rear, Atlantic Tech 352 PBM sub, Carver 885.1 receiver (going to upgrade that soon), Nad 515 cd changer, and a Sony 530 Dvd player.

Please no one ever buy this product ever . . . ! Carver is also out of business so you have no chance to fix your unit at ALL!

Submitted by Rory Truitt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well I may be the exception but since I have had no problems of any kind I will give this 5 Stars. If it Craps out tomorrow I will mark it up to experience and remember never to buy a product from Carver unless Bob is in charge. I do however own several other Carver items and have never had anything but good luck and great sound from all of them.

Atlantic Technology :