Cambridge Audio S700 CD Players

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

DAC

Submitted by henk3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I use the Cambridge S700 in combination with my old and trusted JVC XLZ-1010 (a player that was once recommended by TAS); the D/A converter is MUCH better than the one in the JVC and the sound is lively and open now. I do not care for the always-on mode, so I have installed an on/off switch in the mains line. The HDCD decoding capability is a nice feature. Build quality is ecxellent, and the unit is super-simple to connect with an fibre-optic connection.

Question: I have tried the unit with a variety of transports (the digital part of a one-box cd player), I hear no difference. Should I?

Purchased At:   richer sounds, amste

Submitted by Joan Linan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good stuff. :))

Submitted by Dan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use the S700 Isomagic DAC with a Yamaha CDX-493 CD player. I was going to replace the latter altogether (see my none-too-glowing review of it!), but with the S700 being so inexpensive it seemed worth a try. I was not disappointed: the sound is detailed and musical, with outstanding imaging and atmosphere. As soon as I made the change I realised just how much the Yamaha had been failing to resolve. I suspect that this S700 DAC/budget CD player combination sounds as good as a CD player costing much much more.

Submitted by Russ Tebay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
New digital iso platform and converter

Submitted by Alex M a

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
??? Anybody tried this item ???
I can't find additional information about this product even from dealer and
www.cambridgeaudio.com web-site.Product description is very poor as if
it was designed rather for lovers of extravagant looking pieces (no matter of what) then for audiophiles.
Especially it'll be very interesting to find out whether this is 24 or 20 bit unit.
Any information will be greately appreciated.

Reasonbly priced CD player: Onkyo 7555, NAD 545, Cambridge 640C v2, or Yamaha CD-S700

Hi all, I'm looking for a new cd player for my [B]Yamaha 596[/B] stereo amp and[B] Audio Pro E6 [/B]speakers. Music - techno, breaks, rock, classical, jazz I thought about Onkyo 7555, NAD 545 and Cambridge 640C v2. What do you think about them? Then recently I've been told that Yamaha CD-S700 wi ... Read More »

SFLAT: