Cambridge Audio D300 CD Players

4.47/5 (47 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

On this player a high quality clock module and separate stabilised power supply are coupled to the latest 24 bit Crystal DAC to give the D300 an outstanding level of performance and reliability and a specification not found on many much pricier machines. An optical digital output also provides easy connection to other digital devices via its industry-standard Toslink connector.

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
I now realize how important it is to have a capable CD player in your audio lineup. Everything about every song on every CD I played sounded better. Bass is deeper and tighter. Vocals truly sound like vocals. Treble is clear, clean. I heard vibrato in recordings that I never knew was there.

This is the least 'digital' sounding CD player I've ever heard. I found myself listening to music much louder than I previously could. With my old CD player(s), if I listened to music at loud levels I would have to turn the treble down 3-4 dB from 1kHz-16kHz in order to reduce the painfully harsh brightness that it seemed many CDs had. Unfortunately by doing that a tremendous amount of the depth and dynamics of songs was significantly reduced. With the Cambridge I ran my EQ flat as a board, put in Def Leppard's Vault and cranked 'When Love and Hate Collide.' I've never heard music sound so good. Full, clear, detailed. The sibilance and digital harshness that I thought was due to a poor recording was in fact due to the CD players I had been using!

I noticed in the manual for the Cambridge that it recommends the CD player be turned on for 15-30 minutes before you do any serious listening (to warm everything up). The sound did improve the longer I had the player turned on. It did take a good half an hour or so and then everything really livened up.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by jack667 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought a D300 in 2002, sold it after 12 months and bought it again a few months back! Why? The D300 is one of the best CD players for the money, it has fantastic soundstaging, the bass is controlled and deep, and it works fantastically well with all types of music. Paired with my Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and Monitor Audio Gold Ref 20's, this player impressed me, and did not feel like a weak connection in the system given its price. Worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Richersounds

Submitted by MaxxC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my earlier review which was posted 2 weeks after purchasing the player.

Nothing much to add to the previous review except to say that a good power cord will take this player up several notches.

Was looking for a powercord when I stumbled across the "Absolute Powercord" sold by gttgroup.com for only $50. This cord has received alot of attention and recommendations by 3 different writers at stereophile magazine.

On the consumer reviews listed at gtt mentioned the fantastic improvement he got when he hooked up the cord to his Cambridge Audio D300se.

Bought the Absolute Power cord expecting subtle improvements or maybe nothing. Couldn't be more wrong. The improvements were substantial by any standard. The soundstage dramatically increased in size. Front to back, side to side and in height. Resolution increased substantially. Much smoother and more musical.

In a nutshell. If you own this player buy the cord today! Being in audio for 30+ years the $50 Absolute Powercord was easily the best performance per dollar ever spent.

Purchased At:   audioadvisor

Submitted by Patrick Lemoyne a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Just want to tell everybody who wants to purchase this cd Player ( Cambridge audio d300se).It will perform depending what your other components are. I have this player with pacific interconnect, a Nakamichi Ta-1a integrated amp with energy Esm-2s speakers and Van den hul clearwater speaker cables, Get a lot of details very good bass response in fact The sound is very balancedand a very good soundstage. I try the cd with the same interconnect the same amp with Paradigm Monitor 3 speakers. after carefull placement of the Paradigm , The sound is less details no a very present bass and the mid sount a bit nasaly. If you buy this Player you got to have the right components to go with it. I've got chance cos everything fit with the player this ensemble is my best ever.

Purchased At:   Audio d'occasion

Submitted by Patrick Lemoyne a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
First of all this is a wonderful cd player coupled with ma nakamichi Ta-1a and energy speakers it sound wonderful.Lots of details good bass presence.Buy it after my dvd audio from jvc burnout is optics what a piece of scrap not a reliable product avoid the xv-701bk or the 723 got 3 players and the third work for about 5 months. I truly recommend this cambridge player with the pacific interconnect.

Purchased At:   audio D'occasion

Brand New Nikon D300 Digital camera - SLR - 12.3 M

We are The Trade Link Co Ltd,Registered with the United Kingdom Government and we sell Brand New Original Electronics Such as:: Mobile Phones,Laptop Notebook Computers,Digital Cameras,Plasma Tv,Camcorders,Video Games,Musical Instrument e.t.c. with complete accessories and they are sealed in original ... Read More »