Cambridge Audio CD4SE CD Players

4.92/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $529.00

Submitted by clive wills a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
I picked one of these up after reading the review in Hi Fi News (I think) in which it was up against various players in a blind listening test. Some of the players involved were considered to be High End kit, Coplands, Audio Research etc and the cambridge was one of the cheapest on test. The good thing about blind tests is that you can't bring any preconceptions based on brand to the test, you have to make your judgement based purely on sound. In this instance, the humble CD4SE came out on top in many respects, hammering the competition and embarrasing machines costing significantly more cash.

At the time, I was running the player through an Audiolab 8000a and a pair of Tannoy Mercury M2's. I was quite satisfied with this set up until I heard some valves and really good speakers. I am now using a pair of Quad II power amps, a nene valley audio passive pre and a pair of Triangle Ellypse speakers. The Cambridge CD4SE is STILL there, I have tried a number of other players, none of which sound any better. It is still smooth, refined, free from grit and fatigue. If you can find one of these puppies in good order, grab it. For a player that I got 10 years ago for £200, you have to agree that it's damn good value. It's only let down by the rubbish display and some ergonomic issues but you have to ask yourself 'Why do I have CD player, to look at or listen to?' Obvioulsy you dont want something that is just UGLY in your living/listening space but I for one don't spend too much time watching the clock ticking by as a track plays. You decide.

find one, hear one, buy one if you can. Mine is staying here.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you see one of these, buy it: they're real gems. Detail, pace, only machines costing more than ten times as much come close.

Bought mine as a temporary replacement while my Planet was off for repair (see my review of that player) and it has never left my system since. Coupled to an Electrocompaniet amp and a pair of Sonus Faber Concertos, it made the ystem sing.

A word of warning, though. Play in the CD4SE for at least 24 hours. It sounds too bright out of the box, but improves dramatically improve with running in.

Submitted by Bert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Like to share with all the Cambridge Audio owners that are thinking of upgrading. I have Cambridge Audio CD4SE and A3i, these are very well reviewed here with a Gale 4i speakers. I have gone auditioned for a newer speakers such and settled for the Mission 773e. Gorgeous speakers but need time to run in.. during the run-in I noticed everything seemed to be harsh and bright. Took away all the music I enjoyed. Then it started to settle in. During this time I was introduced to "Musical Fidelity X-10D" which the salesman said will definitely take away all the hardhness and brightness. To cut the story short, the X-10D really change the sound of my whole system to better. After couple of weeks and tried an A/B , with and without the X-10D, and the difference is significant. Without the X-10D everything sound so thin, with them , you have soundstage, smoothness and body in the music (the tube sound). The salesman guaranteed the improvement of money back guarantee ( which is not practice in my country).

For those that want a better sound but limited budget, go ahead and get the X-10D , you can hear the difference, of course on my humble system that has been highly rated here.
Get them fast coz MF are no longer manufacturing them.

Submitted by Tom B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I guess I agree basically with all the reviews that go before mine, except I feel the tonal balance of this CD Player is too high. Brass, winds, etc are pitched high or bright. I spend as much time sitting in front of live orchestras as I do in front of the stereo, so the difference is easy for me to hear. I tried different interconnects and even a different amp and speakers with the same result. For the money though I guess it is hard to beat but I like the sound of the CD4 and CD6 better. They use the same DAC, the CD6 being Dual Dacs and better power supply and capacitors.

Submitted by Rob a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently picked this gem up at a local shop for $299 because it was a floor model, however I understand that it typically retails for around $499. Anyway, this is truly a fine piece of equipment. The sound is very open and warm with a hint of tube amp. The transport is solid and quick. The best part is the BNC digital out on the back because BNC connectors are better for digital signals (hey they don't use them on oscilloscopes becuase they look cool!) I plan to later upgrade to an external DAC, but only because there is not an HDCD decoder in this machine. The 20 bit DAC from crystal does a wonderful job of reproducing the music, thought. Another nifty feature is the gold signal traces on the circut board. I use this player hooked through Tara Labs Prism 11 interconnects, my Adcom GTP-500 preamp, and my Sennhieser headphones.

This is truly a great value, even at normal retail and the performance compares to that of much more expensive players.