Cambridge Audio CD4 CD Players

4.07/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Submitted by BFB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've owned two of these now. When my first one died, I was gutted. I couldn't afford much at the time, so made do with a really cheap replacement for some time. One day I realised why I'd stopped listening to music! I've just bought another of these from ebay and suddenly remember what it is I loved about my previous CD4. I can't name many other players in this price bracket can deliver the warmth and body that the CD4 offers. Marantz CD63 would be the notable exception, but in its day it was twice the price of the CD4. The bottom end has weight and is well rounded, the midrange is smooth and the top is delicate, without that digital sound.

Put it next to some really high class players and it's out of its depth, but hook it up to a good amp and speaker combo and it'll beat many players several times the retail price. I can't say I've found anything it doesn't deal with well. These are getting a bit old now, so I don't expect this to last forever, but I'd highly recommend one of these if it comes to you at a good price.

Submitted by Len Dussatenner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Overall the CD4 is a fine sounding CD Player, very capable especially for the money. It does have reliability problems as mentioned by an earlier reviewer. I took one back coz it kept skipping. The replacement has worked fine for 3 years now, although now the display has given up and left a blank screen.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Attila a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Purchased some 2 years ago, and listened lots of other CD players, but still very much satisfied.

On the back panel " Digital to analog conversion designed in conjunction with Pink Triangle" !!! Very interesting.

If you have enough space behind the speakers, very deep space! Also firm bass, and very articulate midrange with a lot of air.

What I most like in it is the musicality. It is very involving, and makes you just enjoy the music. This is what I miss from most audiophile products.

It is the greatest for me on human voice. Just loves operas!Nicely reveals the 'natural' character of instruments. Little coloration. Probably great for country too.

On the flip side, not suited well for big bands, or symphony, or other very complex music. Some may find the overall picture a little bit dark.

Used with Cambridge Audio A1 MK3, XLO inteconnect, bi-wired XLO pro speaker cables, and Acustic Energy AE100 speakers.

Purchased At:   Applause Audio

Submitted by Mike Williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
Picked up a used one on eBay. Well worth the price paid. I tried the Cap Plug tweek mentioned in and earlier review. It does work.

Submitted by Steve Smith a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use the Cambridge in my analog system; VPI turntable, Rega
arm and cartridge, McIntosh MC240 amp and MX110 tuner/preamp and Near 50Me speakers. I find the Cambridge to have more clarity and detail than the NAD 514, but lacks the warmth/you are there feeling of the Arcam. But, I really like the Cambridge for the money, and I feel the build quality is a step above the NAD. I have owned the Cambridge CD4 for over one year and had no reliability problems. I would recommend the Cambridge to anyone wanting quality CD sound for an entry level price. 5 Star value, honest 4 star sound.

Purchased At:   Sound City

Nakamichi CD4 - Fix or Replace?

I have a Nakamichi CD4 that won't read discs. I have since purchased a simple Sony DVP-NC875V DVD/CD player. Never got to be able to do an A/B test between the systems. The question is: do I a) pay $75 to fix the CD4 and use the Sony just for DVDs? b) give the CD4 away on CraigsList and simply ... Read More »

BLG CP024: