Audio Alchemy DTI PRO 32 CD Players

4.91/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1595.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by cris91music a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
Dear friend from Australia

I am having the Audio Alchemy DDS PRO DTI PRO 32 AND V. 3. Every time I turn on the dti it does not recognize the dds pro. So I must turn down the dti disconnect the dds pro and turn ii on alone.
have you any idea of how to solve this problem. My email is crisage@msn.com
regards
cris91music

Submitted by ai_god a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
This machine is magnificent. Since it is available so cheap you can pair it with a relatively inexpensive cd-player with HDCD capability and then you will be getting sound that in my opinion approaches the sound of systems costing thousands more...

I use high end dynamic headphones (HD600's) for my listening. Using headphones gives me an advantage in perception of details and extreme subtlety of the music. The effect of the Dti Pro 32 in my experience was simply all around improvement. The first thing you may notice is an increase in the overall smoothness of the music. Just behind that I noticed the control it exerted on the bass. Bass that might have previously bleed into other frequencies is brought back under control yet still has a sense of being powerfull. The treble is the most subtle and in the long term pleasing refinement. The treble is put into greater focus yet remains calm and un-fatiguing. The effect is perfection of treble, detailed yet unfatiguing it is perfect, perfect, perfect....

I use the Dti with the MSB Link Dac 3 and find the combo to be good together, but the Dti pro 32 easily out performs this Dac so if you can afford it go for something a little closer to top of the line. Or you can try upgrading the Link Dac to HDCD compatibility. Something I haven't done yet but plan to very soon.

things to look out for:
Be aware that performance is dependent on the chip installed in the unit. you should get the very latest upgrade chip which adds HDCD functionality and improves the overall sound. I got mine from channel Island Audio. if you need the number to order one email me...

In the end I must say I expected alot from this unit and got more than I could have hoped... It does those things that are barely measurable exactly right.

Submitted by Jim Koukodimos a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
Champagne technology at a sparkling wine price.My system consists of the Audio Alchemy DDS Pro transport,DTI Pro 32,DDE v3 DAC,all connected with Camelot Audio I2s cables,Classe CAP 150 amp,Audioquest Argent speaker cable,Kimber KCAG interconnects,Dynaudio Contour 2.8 speakers,Velodyne 15" servo subwoofer.
I have listened to many so called high end systems (I work in Hi-Fi industry),I think with many brands you are just paying for the name.Anyway I digress, the DTI Pro 32 makes a great improvement to just about any CD system,especially if you can use the I2s inputs/outputs.
It seems to bring out every little detail.Super dynamics,the best sounstaging I've heard (check out Patricia Barber's album Modern Cool).If you can find one now (used)get it,I don't think you will regret it.

Purchased At:   HCM

Submitted by Jimmy James a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
Tried several times to submit this review under the exisitng category and post but no luck. So here goes anyway. These little black boxes are available on the used market for $500-600. Try to verify B4 you buy which chip is resident. You need version 3 or 4 to work properly and I would not recommend buying one of these without first making sure of the availability of a replacement chip (HCM, Music Direct or Channel Island Audio). As a jitter reduction box, it has no peer except for maybe the Genesis Lens. As an adjustable word length, Digital signal processor and HDCD decoder, it can't be beat at the current price point. Where this little box shines is extrapolating 24 bit word length from 16 bit cd's and sending it virtually jitter free to the dac of your choice via Aes/ebu, I2S or coax. 20bit dacs work great with this unit, 24 will work better. Set at the 24 bit word length, going thru a high quality 20 bit dac, you can hear more detail, air and extended highs and lows. Cymbals on some recording seem to shimmer thru the Pro32 where without they are meerly there. The 32 does not alway s work magic on recordings. Higher bit mastering seems to work especially well; Mofi, the New Blue Note RVG 24bit masters and other premium discs. It only makes since that if 20 or 24 bit mastering is used and then down sampled that the DSP extrapolation software in the pro 32 "could" reproduce those same bits. It may not do it bit for bit but it does do something that sounds incredibly right. The 32 also does HDCD, that is it passes the HDCD code intact to an HDCD capable outboard dac if you set the mode buttons to HDCD. Maybe soemday there will be a box that you can select GAIN, GAINII, Superbit Mapping, etc. to decode the way HDCD works now. Until then there is the 32 or the $5000 dCS Purcel or $7500dCS 972 which upsamples with a more extravagant algorithem than possible for $500.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Veda a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1998

Bottom Line:
5 stars if it wasn't for the price. This device works quite well with Camelot DACs. Better soundstage, detail, and overall transparency without the dryness. It's simply an irreplaceable component in my system.

60.0 WA BLACK: