Audio Alchemy ACD Pro CD Players

CD Player

Submitted by Darren A. Schmidt a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased a NEW ACD Pro about 4 months ago. Previous to this, I have had a Marantz CD63se and a Toshiba DVD/Alchemy DDE3 combo. The ACD Pro is a VERY nice player and is quite a bit better than the DVD/DDE3 combo. I wasn't able to compare the Marantz player and the ACD Pro, but from memory even the combo was better than it. In the ACD Pro, you get rythym, better bass (no kidding), HDCD decoding, and NO veiling of instruments (like when strings are playing behind a band... read Marantz). I quit looking around at other players (for alot more $$$) as this is the one I am keeping. You should be able to find one around $400US (as I was), which is a complete steal. I know that Alchemy is long gone, but Dusty Vawter at Channel Islands is supposed to be able to work on them if problems arise. Easily 5 stars.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Randy Banta a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned the ACD Pro for about one and a half years. It has some of the best bass I have heard from any player. It is dynamic, sweet, and has good detail at low volumes, where it counts. Sound staging is very good, room dependent. It sounds good on tube equipment as well as solid state. A great player. I have listened to many a player and have not found a worthy replacement.
Associated equipment
Aronov 960i integrated amp
JPS Labs cables
Von Schweikert VR-4 speakers

Submitted by Michael Thorp a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
This review is for all of you that might find one of these used, (which I happily did!) The ACD Pro is a pretty neutral and good sounding CD Player, sounds nearly identical to a Parasound 1100 DAC with transport,(if any of you have happend to have heard one). It has HDCD, and a coax digital out, programable 20 tracks, and comes with a remote. If you can find one of these for 500-600 you'll have gotten a real bargin.

Atlantic Technology :