Arcam Alpha MCD CD Players

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Multidisk CD player

Submitted by Giulianese79 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2013

Bottom Line:
This is a great sounding player, i use it with the arcam AVR360, and the pairing is awsom.
good deep base, mids and high crispy and lear in low and high volume really does the job right. You load up 6 discs and enjoy for hours of pleasure...I replaced a NAD 3 discs changer, and you can really hear the difference ... of corse is an Arcam

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought this unit for a great price. The dealer had it completly gone through by Arcam's US service center. It's a concession for my wife. Changing discs can be a pain. This is by far the best sounding multi-disc player I've heard (Sony, NAD, Toshiba, Marantz). I've added BDR cones and may send it out for some sonic mods. Performance has greatly improved during breakin and I now leave it powered up 24/7.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer (demo)

Submitted by David Fary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great sounding disc changer, and you can't go wrong with it if you like to have more than one disc loaded like I do. I currnetly use the digital out into a Proceed AVP but it still had great midrange and bass when I was analog out into a Marantz Receiver.

Purchased At:   Peachtree Acoustics

Submitted by Matthew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded my system by replacing a 1992-era Nakamichi MB-3 multi-CD player with the MCD. The rest of my system includes a Linn Kolektor pre-amp, B&O Beolab 6000 powered speakers, and Monster 950 interconnects (between CD and receiver, and also from receiver to powered speakers).

I noticed an immediate and fundamental improvement in sound -- as if a "shroud" had been lifted from the music. Despite unimpressive published specs and no HDCD capability , I found the dynamics dramatically increased, the music richer, and more detailed and natural. Soundstage was also better, though the Nak was already quite decent on that score. I also get crisper and modestly deeper bass, which is helpful since my speakers lack strong bottom-end.

If you need a changer, this is a great choice. I don't think the $1500 Cal Audio CL-10 sounded dramatically better for double the price, though I heard them in separate stores thru different equipment (same 4 music tracks spanning rock, jazz, classical) so I have only limited confidence in this observation. (The wannabe scientist/audiophile in me declares the comparison utterly invalid, but my gut and wallet have faith).

I'd like to address 2 criticisms voiced in previous reviews, regarding the price and the remote unit. First, the price was recently dropped by $300 to $700 retail, presumably in response to some stiff competition from NAD, a new Nakamichi MB-10 at $500, and upcoming new formats. I was wavering at $1000, but the price cut made the Arcam an easy decision. Second, I personally don't object to the remote ...it's small and easy to use, though it seems cheaply constructed so don't abuse it. This remote won't win any awards or embellish Arcam's image, but I do not consider it a deterrent to buying the player.

Submitted by Shaf Begen a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Arcam MCD about 5 weeks ago and I have been satisfied with the unit. Previously, I had a ten-year old Onkyo Integra changer. When comparison shopping, I was also looking the the Anthem CD1. But for the money, I got the MCD for $300 off sticker via a promotion, this unit can't be beat. The sound is great. Specifically, the treble (especially in the high hats) sounds soo sweet. Miles Davis cd's come alive as do Air (a French band) records. The midrange is above average for a changer-the bass is refined and clean. When shopping for cd players, I seldom found a true audiophile-grade changer (although i am not an audiophile). Since I am lazy, I had to have a changer-and this one is the best for under $2000. My only gripe, albeit small, is the remote-it looks absolutely hideous. At any rate, I still give it a five stars for value and sound.
Other components:Marantz PM-17 integrated amp, Martin-Logan SL3 speakers, AudioQuest interconnects and speaker wire.

FGH 26: