Arcam Alpha 5 CD Players

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Submitted by Jens_Mortensen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this player once before. I'm now reviewing it again, because I've opdated it with a new super clock (LClockXO3 fra L C Audio) as well as new operational amplifiers in the output stage. The result is stunning. Soft, clear and crisp sound, clarity overall, control, natural sound, no sign of negative digital contributions to the sound. I highly recommend other Arcam Alpha 5+ owners to upgrade clock and op-amps.

Purchased At:   KT Radio Copenhagen.

Submitted by Jens_Mortensen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Before I bought the it, I compared it to Micromega Stage 1. The Arcam Alpha 5+ was clearer, and had a better perspetive at the same price, so I took it. In short terms, it had a very good overall sound, very musical, and fairly detailed. A good CD-player at the price.

2 years later, I upgraded it with a super clock and new operational amplifiers for $200. The result of this upgrade was a tighter bass, and much improved clarity and definition in the treble and mid-range, as well as better perspective. I highly recommend this upgrade to other Alpha 5+ owners. I've also damped it acoustically, which gave minor improvements, but on the other hand only cost me $10.

The D/A-converter has had to be changed, and I've to replace a gear wheel. But still, the upgrades taken into consideration, experts advised me to let it repair instead of buying a new.

Purchased At:   KT Radio, Copenhagen

Submitted by Martin Farncombe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is not a CD player for the Naim enthusiast. It's clear, balanced, with a great soundstage and almost completely without colour. Even after years of living with it I still love the damn thing.

Purchased At:   PJ Hifi Guildford

Submitted by lightsaber a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this second hand on the cheap for my 2nd system.

Brillant machine! I was a sceptic at first. But until I really sat down to listen to it!! IMHO, it's even better than the later Arcam series. Not too sure about this, but I think Arcam 7 onwards are not made here in UK...but in taiwan or China.

Back to the machine. Really smooth sounding player in comparison to other similar players from Sony, Marantz, etc. All of which I auditioned before finally settling on the 5+.

I agree with the previous reviewer about it's midrange and it's ability to protrait all kinds of music. This is very important to me as I listen from rock to vocals to opera. This is indeed a highly musical player.

The only downside is that it looks a little dated. But really...looks aside, it can easily compete with players twice its price.

I was half expecting it to mistrack since the player is already 4 years old. But when I open it's cover (out of habit), I could see some real quality parts. This machine is, IMHO again, made to last more than most similar priced CD players which I've seen. Then again, I do own an Arcam amp that is already more than 10 years old...I do somewhat expect their CDPs to be able to withstand the test of time.

Submitted by hotspurs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is long overdue. Please note that my cdp is the 5+. I have this cdp for 5 years already and I have not intention of selling it off even though I have upgraded to a more expensive (4x) cdp. I have no intention to sell because this is one heck of a cdp despite it's price.

True, there are many better cd players out there, but in term of passion and value to its peers, the 5+ really shines. It may not be the most neutral of cdp...but it's able to portrait a very wide soundstage and credible depth. In comparison to cdp with it's price range, there are not much competition.

The biggest strenght to this player must be its midrange. And I have no problems throwing in all kinds of music into this player (claasical, rock, jazz, vocals) unlike some player that only suit a certain genre of music.

given all its strength, this cdp makes an excellent buy. Unfortunately, it's out of production..thus, making it an even better 2nd buy!

PANAMAX: