NAD M51 Masters Series
MSRP  1999.99
Description: Direct digital DAC 35-bit/844kHz up-sampling digital-to-analog converter operating in differential mode for precise sound ,digital audio inputs - XLR, HDMI (stereo-only audio w/video pass-through), optical, coaxial, and asynchronous USB (Type B)

Submitted by MK a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
I genuinely wanted to love this DAC based on rave reviews. What I got instead was a DAC that sounded dull and veiled. I ended up getting a Stello U3 USB to SPDIF convertor just to try to make the DAC sound in any way interesting in my setup. In the end I gave up. This thing was lethargic and lifeless to me. I gave it a good go and spent extra improving cables and buying the Stello but still found it un-listenable. Sold it at a loss.What a shame it didn't sound as good as it looked!

Submitted by Budy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
This DAC sounds amazing. This is my 3rd DAC (Peachtree Dacit, Woo Audio WDS1) and it really stands out from my previous DAC's. This DAC has presence. There is a huge sound stage, with great definition of instrument location, however it does show up poor source material as being just that. Feed it the right material and this DAC shines a very bright light. I love listening to this DAC, it is very easy to listen to over prolonged periods. i run it through a Rotel power amp and it just sounds sooooo, good.

Submitted by Gooney a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2013

Bottom Line:
Nad M51 sounds like hifi. As opposed to real music, as opposed to natural. Incompatibility with my amplifier maybe, but I sure do not like. The differences between firmware are huge. The latest one sound the most hifi.