Wharfedale Valdus Center
Description: Center speaker

Submitted by theunbound1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
i have a whole valdus set with 500's, 300's, and the valdus center..all se versions. the valdus center channel seems to be the most well designed of the whole valdus set. seems to be a bit better constructed than the other valdus enclosures. sounds good to me though..has a lot of bass for a center channel and the high freq's are superb. handles a lot of power with no problem like the rest of the valdus series and sounds great at a high volume. the mid/bass drivers look really cheap compared to the larger valdus speakers but sound just as good.

Submitted by Lawrence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good balanced sound, clarity and power with zero distortion even at elevated volumes. Excellent dialogue reproduction. This is a good looking unit which is smart yet unobtrusive. Excellent value for money. Anyone with a good ear and a tight budget would like this speaker, although I'm not sure that spending more would necessarily buy better. It works very well with my Wharfedale Delta 30's (front) and Valdus 100's (rear) on a Technics Reciever.

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Garett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wharfedale Valdus Center 180 Watts Max 2-Way Speaker from UBid turned out to be marked 100W...for $70 shipped to my door, I can't complain. Hmm, oh well, handles all the power I throw at it no problem. As I mentioned in the strengths, this thing does DVD dialogue very sweetly. Also, you'll never miss Trinity's shotgun kick in the Matrix ever again (I have on my 4.1 setup, not on this 5.1 deal).

Price wasn't as sweet as the price for other parts of my system, but I have no complaints. This piece will serve me well for many years.

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great Center Channel. Perfect for my dorm room on my DD/DTS system. I have Wharfedale SP85's and the color doesn't match, but that doesn't matter. Puts out great sound. If you don't like the bass, buy some subwoofers. I used some cheap off the shelf cable at first, then went up to Monster Cable THX qualified and am very satisfied with it. Great for movies and music. Recommend highly for the price. $100 on uBid.

Purchased At:   uBid.com

Submitted by Matthew Saunders a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this for 30 UK pounds a few months ago when I upgraded my front speakers. Richer Sounds priced it at £40,and Superfi did a £10 price beat promise...

I rarely get to crank up my system (Sony 930 based, tannoy fronts, wharfedale rears) and a big plus of this centre for me is its intelligibility at low volumes. However, I get the feeling that it wouldn't be happy played at high volumes for significant periods of time.

When I first bought it, coming from a very small yamaha centre, I was amazed at how well it coped with bass frequencies. I recognise that this isn't the main purpose of a centre at all, but with my old speaker, it had trouble even with deep voices, making Darth Vader sound like Madonna... the Valdus happilly drops as low as the centre channel ever requires.

I feel that build quality and finish are excellent for the price, although the drive units themselves look a little on the cheapo side. It has fallen off my TV a few times and still works fine. It seems solid and heavy, and I've seen none of the veneer-warping some Wharfedale owners mention here.

In the UK, Wharfedale is seen now as the budget end of the spectrum, a real pedigree but no longer cutting edge. Personally, I like this speaker, and my old Diamond 5's, which I use as rears, and I've just ordered a pair of Modus one-six's (huge towers), so I've gone the whole way with Wharfedale. Maybe not audiophile quality but I really like them.