Wharfedale Pi-10
Description: Wharfedale Pacific Series Pi-10 Bookshelf Speakers with Kevlar® Drivers (PAIR)

Submitted by alex265283 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am using a marantz sr7400 which is around 110 watts per channel, and good quality cabling, in a room 6 x 4 metres. I bi-wired these speakers up as stereo fronts and after a couple of days of bedding them in, i am truely blown away by the performance of these little beauties. Nothing even close to the money will touch them! High end clarity is superbly crisp and detailed, midrange is warm, and bass is very strong but extremely tight and detailed, and drops down to levels that you wouldnt expect of a speaker of this size. I turn the subwoofer off unless i am playing bass hungry or dance music - because the amount of bass that comes from 6.5" woofer at listenable levels is truly remarkable. The Sound dispersion is also amazing - they fill the room beautifuly, and have a wide sweet spot - the seperate tweeter probably helps this. Beautiful cabinet finish overall, apart from the top of the tweeter where the mouldings join, but you dont notice it as it is facing rearwards. You would never tell that these were made in china by looking at the craftsmanship - These are a credit to the wharfedale brand and their engineers.

Purchased At:   SYDNEY (AU$)

Submitted by ERFAN MOHARRAMY a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bass is powerful and well-controlled.Treble is sweet and beautifully detailed.A clear smooth midband is really enjoyable.I love that tweeter pod ,the way it looks and the way it sounds.Sound is natural and is carring excitement that I have not found elsewhere.When I was at demonstration room in order to select one pair of loudspeakers ,dealer claimed that you are so hard to please,but I was thinking to myself that:THERE IS NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT,hearing the Pacific Pi 10s.Sometimes I switch amplifiers off and get closer to pi 10s to enjoy its veneer only.I kiss the hands of its engineers becaus of making sense of my life.

Purchased At:   NAKISA HIFI SHOP

Submitted by pit_d a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
What can I say, I got really lucky with this speakers! – I placed a bit on a Wharfedale Diamond Anniversary, but they run out, so I got PI-10s.
PI-10’s are about 1/3 of my previous Kenwood floor standing speakers (150W), but sound about 30 times better! And I love the way they look…

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
First of all, let me discuss my set up. Here are the components I am using
to listen to these fine speakers. I have:
A/V Receiver: Onkyo TXDS797 THX certified 135 watts per channel for 6 channels at 6 ohm
CD/SACD Player: Sony NC650V 5 CD/DVD Changer
5.1 Setup: Center: Wharfedale Pacific Series, Surround Rear: Wharfedale Pacific PI 10 and Main: Wharfedale Pacific PI-40 Cables and interconnects: Monster cables Ultra all the way Subwoofer: Infinity HPS-1000 (1000 watts RMS)
I have these speakers connected bi-wired and my room is about 14' by 30' @ 9' ceiling so I have room for them. These speakers require some break-in period. I recommend a whole weekend of using them to achieve their full potential. I use nothing but quality cables (Monster) with them. Positioning is also crucial with these speakers; I suggest 10 inches between walls (and in either side of the speakers). The tweeter pod can be rotated to improve imaging and sound stage. This feature is only seen with higher end speakers such as B&W Nautilus and Kef Reference Series line up and quite rare in this price range. I must say that Wharfedale really did their homework with these speakers. The vocals are produced with mesmerizing details and clarity. The integration is seamless with the bass the treble. These speakers convey the emotions of music in-tack (as seen with SADE's Cherish the Day and Diana Krall's Look of Love). These speakers when used with PRO-Logic II (5.1 set up) can be a bit on the bright side. However, this
can be addressed by adjusting the tweeter pod to meet the brightness that suits your style, hence this was not really a problem. At first I was not sure about purchasing these speakers on Ebay. However, as time passed by, I became more appreciative of the talents of these speakers. These are superb speakers for the money hands down. The only complain that I have with these speakers is that they are quite addicting. You can easily spend 2 hours of listening without even noticing it with these. They are smooth and non-fatiguing like the B&W 600 series (which I auditioned too). I absolutely love these speakers and glad that I bought them. The maple-colored cabinets are stylish with smooth finish that makes other furniture feel insecure. If you look closely, you can tell that these are made with quality material selection. They use Kevlar drivers, aluminum tweeters, and gold plate

Purchased At:   wild west electronic