RAW Acoustics Apex C

Submitted by rbarnes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchcased the Apex C for my home theatre a few month ago after having auditioned the KEF Reference, and Talon Cinima Hawk, both in the same price range.
The Apex C simply had a more immediate, lifelike presentation for me, both in home theatre presentation and surround sound sacd and dvd audio. I belive that the main advantage that the Apex C has over other center channel speakers is simply the quality of the drivers that go into it. RAW utilizes 4 extremis 6.8" drivers for the bottem end, and a pair of WR125 4.5" midrange drivers. These drivers utilize a proprietary "XBL" technology that allows very high excursion and low distortion. They are complimented with a RAW RA104.5 ribbon for high frequencies. The net result for me in my theatre is a very "fast" center channel that blends seemlessly with the rest of my system, one that conveys the human voice in a truly realistic way at incredible spl levels if desired.
As a final note, Al Wooley, the owner of RAW, has been more than helpful to me in setting up my system, is always willing to take a phone call, and has bent over backwards to make sure I was satisfied. I would recommend his products to anyone who is looking for a better bang for the buck.