Paradigm Reference CC-450
Description: 2-Way Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by Ran a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I auditioned the Paradigm CC-450 (version 1) center channel, I found it to have the best, most natural-sounding dialogue. I listened to DVDs, music, and TV. The dialogue (which is one of the most important attributes to listen to for a center channel) was extremely natural. In addition, this speaker can play at very loud volumes without any problems. A great speaker!!

Submitted by Steve McCabe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
The first impression I got when I listened to this speaker is the natural tones of the individuals speaking on FOX News. I realize this may sound strange, but if you think about the normal usage of a center channel, it's the TV!!!.
I have also listened to Hell Freezes Over by the Eagles and found it to be rich and streamlined with my Paradgim Reference 40's. I love this speaker.

Purchased At:   COSTSHEETS.COM

Submitted by Darryn MacDonald a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
First of all, the model I own is the LCR450, not the CC450. I believe the LCR450 to be superior to the CC450 do to slightly better extension (due to slightly bigger cabinet size) and due to the timbre matching the version 1 studio series much better. I would recommend the LCR450 to those who own any version one studio series speakers as mains. To those who own actives for main, I would recommend that they only use the LCR450 as a centre speaker if they cannot find the (extremely difficult to find) active/450C. That being said, this speaker is still a great value at the prices that you can find them for on the net ($275 US or less). I recommend only using this speaker set to small with the bass being redirected to either your mains or the sub, this speaker can handle high input levels of low bass, but it's output levels for low bass sound are attenuated a fair bit. Overall, this is a great speaker and a great value, but if you can afford the paradigm reference active series or paradigm reference studio version 2 series I would suggest that you buy those instead as they are quite a bit nicer.

Purchased At:   www.buysellzone.com

Submitted by Matt Montesano a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is one of those speakers that reminds you how good it is every time you listen to it. Matched with my Studio 100 towers, the panning effect is seemless(unlike many other "timbre matched" speakers). This speaker has recently been replaced by the Studio/CC, after an audition, it seems that the main change has been cosmetic as the sonics of the CC450 are nearly perfect. However, it is important to note that this speaker is for audiophiles who are looking to 'hear' everything recorded on a particular soundtrack or song. Revealing would be the best way to summarize the sound character of this center. Here's how my current system is set up(notice that even with the japanese amp, I don't have a "brightness" problem with this speaker):
JVC NV55-BH6 (early model 16x9 projection)
YAMAHA DSP-A3090 (AC3 integrated amp)
TOSHIBA SD-3109 (1999 model year DVD)
SONY SLV-720HF (1993 model year VHS)
JVC XLZ-1050tn (early super digifine series CD)
LOVAN CLASSICII (HiFi rack)
LOVAN TRISOLATOR (dampening platform for CD)
LOVAN EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (isolation platform for CC450)
PARADIGM STUDIO/100
PARADIGM REFERENCE CC450
PARADIGM REFERENCE ADP450
PARADIGM SERVO 15

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was using the CC-170 for awhile but then graduated to the reference series. WOW what a difference it makes with DVD and LD movies. I was really impressed when I played the Star Wars Episode I movie on LD. Blown away.