Magnepan MGCC
Description: Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by Hans Mandahl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
MC1 planair - excellent! have no other words for e´m, drive them with my regular Sony amp - I love the speakers .

Purchased At:   Audio dimensions Roy

Submitted by Doug a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the first permanent center channel used in my system and I cannot believe the improvement it has made in movie soundtrack reproduction. My main speakers (Magnepan MG-1.5) always did a credible job using a phantom center channel but the MGCC-1 is a a real plus and well worth the fair amount of space it requires. My unit was acquired second-hand and cost substantially less than a new MGCC-1, but I have to admit that this would easily be worth $1000. I have auditioned the Martin Logan and Vandersteen center channels but these do not present the same natural speaking voice reproduction and seamless quality of the MGCC-1. There is very limited output below 150 Hz, but this has not been a drawback so far in my system. Don't try to operate it too close (less than about 25 inches) from the wall and you will be rewarded with truly superb sound. Even my wife thinks it is a real winner!

Submitted by PAUL DRINGUS a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE OR SOUND. BUT, I SURE CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW MAGNAPAN COMMITMENT TO LONG TIME CUSTOMERS HAS DROPPED. I HAVE OWNED MMG'S AND NOW HAVE 1.6 QR'S AS FRONT MAIN SPEAKERS AND 10.1 QR'S AS SURROUNDS. THE MGCC1 IS THE ONLY CENTER THAT WILL BLEND WITH MAGGIES AND GIVE A SEAMLESS SOUNDSTAGE AND THAT MAGGIE SOUND. ON APRIL 29, 2000 I PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN FOR A EARLY SUMMER PRODUCTION RUN OF THE MGCC1, I DID NOT RECIEVE MINE TILL THE BEGINNING OF MARCH. MONTHLY CALLS TO WENDELL AT MAGNAPAN GAVE A NEVER ENDING ARRAY OF EXCUSES. ONE EXCUSE WAS THEY COULD NOT FIND QUALIFIED PEOPLE TO HANDLE THE PRODUCTION LEVELS. I EVEN WAS OFFERED A JOB BUILDING SPEAKERS! I THINK THIS SITE NEEDS A RATING CATAGORY FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE OF THE MANUFACTURER. I WOULD GIVE WENDELL AND MAGNAPAN ONE STAR ON HOW THE WHOLE MGCC1 FIASCO WAS HANDLED. THE SPEAKER IS INCREDIBLE AND I'M STILL A MAGGIE LOVER, BUT THE WAIT SURE SUCKED!

Purchased At:   AUDIO CENTER

Submitted by Jeffrey Chin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
bought this pre-owned, i have the black w/ black cloth
an excellent buy..forces you to relisten to all your CDs
not as power hungry as ppl say..check my setup

Mains: Mag 2.5r
Rears: Mag 1.4
Center: MGCC1
Receiver: Nakamichi AV-10 (100w/ch)
Sub: HSU Research VTF-2

Note: The TWEETER ATTENUATOR is NOT for bi-wiring!!!

Purchased At:   person to person

Submitted by rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well it finally came after 10 months of waiting.It was well worth the wait.In the time that I ordered it & got it,they went & changed the name from MGCC to MGCC1.I let it burn for 4 days when I left town for a long weekend.When I came back the first dvd that I played was"private Ryan".It's a lot of bang for the money & MG handled it well.I noticed it was a little high endy so I changed the metal attenuator with some copper speaker wire & the speaker smoothed out noticeably.It blends well with my maggie fronts.Very seamless.hopefully it will sweeten up just like my 12's did.It works well with music.

Purchased At:   audio perfection