KEF Q-95C
Description: Center Channel Speaker

Submitted by BigBird a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I sold this speaker when I upgraded to a Kef 100C, but I had to leave a review, to state how impressed I was with this little wonder.
As with all the Q series it has a great sound, but it was what it did to my front soundstage that really impressed me. It made it sound so much more rich and alive.

I would credit this speaker for being 90% of the 100C for half the money! A gem!

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by mhoopes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
System:

Denon AVR-2801
KEF Q15.2 (F/R)
KEF Q95C.2 (center)
Velodyne CT-100 (sub)
Speaker wire: 16/2 AWG, generic, no bi-wiring.

Two words: small mode.

That said, this is an excellent center for your midrange system (I spent $1400 for everything listed above) in a mid-size room (3000 ft^3 in my case).

Matching is pretty good with the Q15s (white noise revealed subtle differences, possibly due to its sealed config. Nothing I can perceive during critical listening). Dispersion is excellent...no position on my 7 ft sofa is favored.

Purchased At:   Novidor and Fireston

Submitted by Dalancroft a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Over the past few months, due to the purchase of a large home with a 23x17x8 "bonus" room, I have been upgrading my home theater. The system now is:

-Panasonic 47WX49 47" widescreen HDTV monitor, ISF calibrated
-Panasonic RP-91 DVD player
-KEF Q15 mains
-KEF Q95C center
-JBL N-24 rears
-Paradigm PDR-10 sub

At first I had three KEF Q15s as my front speakers. This system worked well in my old 9x9x8 TV room with 32" monitor. However, the squarish Q15 looked large and awkardly perched on the thin cabinet of my Panny RPTV. So . . .

I decided to upgrade to the KEF Q95C since there were a few of them to be had inexpensively on the used market. The Q95C looks small and sleek on the monitor, and I was pleasantly surpirsed to discover that it sounded better too -- tighter, faster and clearer. This is due to its sealed design as opposed to the front-ported Q15s. Evidently the ported design, while boosting bass response, leads to a thicker, somewhat muddy midbass that is OK for music but bad for dialogue & special effects.

Two additional comments:

1) The joker that typed in "asdlfkjsld" etc. and rated the speaker 1 is a fool.

2) The joker who rated this speaker poorly because of its low bass output should have tried running it as "small" on his A/V receiver and shunt the deep bass to his subwoofer (provided the moron has a sophisticated enough system to do so). That's how I run the Q95C and it is outstanding for my needs.

Purchased At:   eBay auction

Submitted by emf25 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
A very sleek and solid build. This speaker looks as good as it sounds. The build quality and percision boost its performance to another level. It looks small, but plays strong, and loud, and transparent.

Purchased At:   World Wide Stereo

Submitted by Torkil Braset a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was lycky to get this speaker for 2/3 of the retail price (object of display but never used), but it would be worth every dollar even if I had to pay full price.

Crisp and clear sound gives lively movie-dialogs.
Used with KEF's Q55.2 as front-speakers and KEF's Q85s as surround-speakers you get a perfect sound balanse. An aditional active sub is recommended (like the Energy EXL-S10).

If you have a good reciever (like the Onkyo TX-DS575X) there is no problem turning up the volume without ANY distortion.

Purchased At:   Expert