Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus
Description: (4)3.5" Drivers and 1.75" Tweeter

Submitted by kawika a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the Center Channel Plus unit from a garage sale with two wall hanging bose speakers. we have tested all the wires and they are working great. everything is attached to a new receiver but the center speaker is not working. there is no sound. could this be a result of not attaching a male port to the end of the wires? presently we have exposed wires clamped to the back attachment of the center panel.
anyone have a problem similar to this.

Submitted by pjonall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this mainly for the low profile, good looks, and ability to get the stand and stick everything under my 27" Proscan. It looks great, works great. However, it definitely needs to be equalized. Has a big hump spreading from 200Hz to almost 2kHz, centered at about 700Hz. This explains a lot of the nazal, tin-can sound everyone else has been noticing. Of course, a good speaker shouldn't need EQ... Once set up and dialed in properly, this speaker is fine for small to medium home theaters. I thought it may have been a little bit high priced 10 years ago, but considering it's competition at the time, was not a bad deal. Definitely not worth more than $100 today with all the excellent centers you can buy between $250-400...

Purchased At:   Cambridge Outlet in

Submitted by n8wci a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of Ensembles on Ebay, and the seller threw in the Center Channel Plus, and I can tell why. I have owned a couple sets of CSW speakers, and really like them, especially for the price. In my opinion, the CenterChannel Plus is just "a little" better than my TV speakers, in an A/B comparison. Voices don't have a natural sound, too tinny, brassy, etc.
Upgraded to the CSW CenterStage(maybe a tad warm on female voices, but "much" fuller, more natural sound for a center channel).

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by rd51 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
For the rest of the people writing good reviews about this speaker I say;
YOU HAVENT A CLUE! I owned this center for several years and never realized the amount of low end needed for a center when using pro logic.
You absolutely need one that reaches down to 60hz or lower. I upgraded to an mc500 with 6.5" drivers and rediscovered all of my music.

Purchased At:   hifi.com

Submitted by TheBloop a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Even though it's too late, I'd like to thank all of you for sharing experiences with the Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus. Not that I'm researching for the purchase of this product . . .just thought it would be interesting to hear comments about something I've lived with since the early 90's.

I agree with all negative posts about the Center Channel Plus. This has been one of the worse mistakes I ever made. The other mistake was getting the rest of the same company product line.

After break-in time of over ten years, I can still say that the sound is like the day I received them. The voices sound like people talking with a clothes-pin on their nose.

They don't even sound close to their mates, the Ensembles, not that the Ensembles ever had a great sound, either.

Take my word: DON'T BUY THEM.

If you're on a budget, hold on to your money and get something better.

Think. You're getting a supplementary system for improvement. Why would you want these if you're better-off with the TV sound?

I usually give away used equipment to my friends whenever I upgrade. In this case, the Cambridge Soundworks product will be dumped. I fear my friends would never speak to me again, or worse, these speakers might be given back to me.

I can remember the day I received my Surrounds (they suck, too!), the Center Ch. Plus ("plus" crap), and four Ensembles (sheilded and regular). A comparison of the regular Ensembles and sheilded Ensembles have a different tone. I was unhappy then (as an entry level) and I'm still unhappy today. What a waste.

Two good things to say.

1. I've learned a lesson in the importance of research before you buy. Send it back if no good.

2. In reading the majority of posts about this product on this site, I have established a greater level of confidence and respect for the people who take the time to write their thoughts.

Thank you.