Boston Acoustics VR 910
Description: Center Channel Recommended Amplifier Power 15-150 watts Frequency Response (3dB) 65-20,000Hz Bass Unit 5-1/4" (135mm) Crossover Frequency 3000Hz

Submitted by jc_ignacio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I stubbornly have maintained, due mostly to non-available funds that a center channel
was not needed in my 5.1 set-up. Boy, little did I know
how a center channel can make a movie more intelligeble (dialogue is easier to follow)
and also make sound effects panning left to right sound more realistic.

I had waited for approximately 3 months to buy this speaker.
Mostly because, I was waiting for it to lower in price and to
see if a new improved model would replace it. I found that this same configuration
of passive 5-1/4 and active driver currently reside in the upscale
VR-MC model in BA's Referance series. Sans the cherry veneer and glossy
endcaps, this is the same speaker with the same Lynnfield tweeter.

I was relegated to use the tv speakers and would not see the complete
resolution and in-movie experience that a devoted center channel would bring.
After plugging the VR910 into my Kenwood Vr-509 DD II receiver, I was
completely surprised by how much the center actually does in a 5.1 system.
Dialogue was clear and without tinny characteristics found in most tv speakers. Sound effects panned
left to right seamlessly between my VR-950 towers and the VR-910 center. Fantasia
2000 host's spoken word was intelligable and not once did I say "What'd he say?".
Now, mind you I sometimes think that I may be losing some hearing in the 25 years that
I have enjoyed listening and watching movies, so I will take this as a cheap way to enjoy
something that I may have been missing.

For music, these are one of the best in comparing all the centers that comprise the Best Buy
or Circuit City selections that I've found. Although, one of the factors that many have outlined when choosing
a center speaker is to voice match the drivers, I have discovered that some are too tinny, or unnaturally resonant, while
the BA's are natural and coherent. Makes me happy that I went with Boston Acoustics all the way around.

Look for some deals now that these models are approaching the last phase of the model life. I hear that the newer versions
would be similar, so the deal you are able to have for these would be satisfying since the newer versions would sport the same configurations..

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Kiet Tran a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
The VR 910 is a very good speaker. I bought it about amonth ago and was very impressed with the sound quality. It also goes very well with my fronts... the VR 965. I recommend this speaker to anyone looking for a good quality speaker at an affordable price.

Just a note to anyone out there. The VR 910 has only one bass unit. Although when you take the cover off, it looks like there's two bass units... there's only one. The other is a passive radiator. So don't be surprise. I was surprise when I discovered it and thought there was a problem. After further research, I found out that one was a 5 1/4 bass unit while the other is a 5 1/4 passive radiator.

Purchased At:   Myer Emco

Submitted by Dave M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
After comparing Klipsh (all highs, and some mids), Infinity (not bad but sound not a full as the Boston), and Definative (lacking in bass), I ended up buying the VR910 to replace my Canton AV700 and used Fleetwood Mac's - The Dance DVD to justify the 300 bucks I dropped. All I can say is "HOLY CA CA"! Coupled with the Boston VR 950 mains, I was blown away. Then I watched Matrix and, well, ....nuff said.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Elec.

Submitted by Ted a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
The VR910 is a awsome Center speakers. Plays Pretty loud when wanted too. Has good Bass IMpact for a Center speakers. very Slim aswell, keeps a low profile on top of your TV, but still notciable. It has a nice Warm sound in Music. Can have a bright and impacting when Watching a good Action movie like James Bond. A very good Center peformer for the money.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Buys

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
After I received a new digital receiver for Christmas, I decided it was time to upgrade speakers. (center channel and subwoofer). I have a pair of Phase Technology front speakers, which I really like, but couldn't find a local store to get a matching center channel. I had about $300 to spend on a new center channel, and narrowed my choice to this speaker and the Infinity. Both are very good, but the sound from the BA was fuller. The Infinity had more of a "bright" tone to it. I guess it really is a matter of preference.
All and all I have been very pleased with this speaker.

Purchased At:   Bryn Mawr Stereo