B&W CDM CSE
Description: CDM Series Center Channel Speaker - 6.5" Woofer and 1" Tweeter

Submitted by charles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
cdm cnt is a good product and not expensive for $500,but this speaker is too bright,not really have a good tonal matching with cdm main speakers,i think b&w sacrifice the frequency response (too bright) for sensitivity (91dB),if u have 600 or nautilus series main speakers,u can choose between lcr60,lcr600,htm2 or htm1 to create an excellent tonal balance and punch for the front 3,but not with the cdm series,u stuck with one choice,it can play loud enough to match your cdm9nt tower,but only in upper midrange,it even worse if u use it with cdm1nt,it looks ugly bcoz its too big and too loud/bright for cdm1nt,maybe that 2 holes designed to boost the low frequency to keep up with the upper mid,but u can't just do it that way(my opinion),maybe htm7 have the same problem,although i'm not listen and try to use it with 700series main speakers yet

Purchased At:   audio store

Submitted by Bobsprit a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the CDM-CNT model center channel with tweeter on top. The high cabinet can be a problem for many setups. Ideally a stand would probably work best since the unit would benefit from being decoupled from the set.
Spend the money and get this center. A curtain will be lifted between you an the center. It's an amazing upgrade. A solid improvement over the excellent Paradigm Studio center I used briefly. I'm giving 5 stars, but the unit's size can make it a zero for you, so measure and test before buying.

Submitted by Jamie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a great speaker. I have found from the first time I went pro-logic that the CC is the most important speaker in home theatre. A movie is usually dialogue and sound effects. So if you have a terrible CC, you are always asking the wife, "what did he say?" or she is asking you that and you are getting on each other's nerves.
Anyway, when I bought my first HT receiver, I bought a very cheap Yamaha center and rears, and you get what you pay for, so I exchanged and went with a more expensive Yamaha. Still wasn't satisfied, So I bought a Mission which was a great improvement. I was in the store and heard the Heco and was very impressed with the sound. So I had that for over a year. I upgraded my fronts to CDM 1 SE's (cherry finish) and figured I'd see what B&W had for a center. I was disappointed that the CDM CSE only came in black, but then again mostly everything around the entertainment cabinet is black so I guess I can live with that. The speaker itself is also little tall compared to most CC's on the market which may cause problems with where to place it and will it fit on the shelf above or below the TV.
So performance wise, I am very pleased with sound, clarity, tone, etc. There have been a number of occasions where dialogue has been so clear that it sounded like the person talking was right there in the room with us. So I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend this speaker to anyone who is willing to spend a little more to buy a good quality speaker and since it is discontinued I am sure there are some sales/bargains to be found.

My system includes:
Panasonic a310 dvd

Purchased At:   Westminster Stereo

Submitted by Norm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought this model to upgrade from the first series CC6, at a local B&W dealer, who I've dealt with for years. The owner had sold me a pair of P6's, and stated that the CSE would be the closest match since this series basically replaced the P series. It literally only took a minute to realize in an A/B comparison(to the series 2 model) that the CSE was a far superior choice(if you can stand the $200.00 difference). The CC6's sounded muffled, and the CSE was clearer, and had a more "open soundstage". Now I know why I sometimes sat their watching a movie, saying to my wife " what did he just say?".

The CC6 is still a good center, but if you can muster up the extra bucks, go for it!

4 stars due to $550.00
5 stars, although I didn't bother comparing it to the LCR's or the HTM's.

Last tidbit...My wife said to me, " I hate to say it, but I can actually tell the diffence"(from the CC6 to the CSE).

Submitted by Alex Blanding a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a great center speaker and matches great with other CDM series speakers. Dialoge quality is excellent and sound effects are very clear. The only drawback is the size, and the height of the tweeter. It fits best on at least a 36" TV and seems to sound better when placed under the screen not on top because the tweeter it too high if you place it on top. If you can't fit it in your system, the B&W CC6 series 2 also works very well and is a more conventional design.