Marantz DR-6000
Description: single tray cd recorder 24 bit A/D converter

Submitted by jvshort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
(This review may be useful for those searching for a second-hand recorder,as it seems the model has been discontinued).
Excellent recorder. It makes exact copies from digital sources (CD), as long as you don't use poor quality blank CDR-CDRWs. Very user-friendly once you get used to it.
I've done a lot of recording from analogue sources too (mainly vinyl) and I must say it's a real pleasure (I advise you to keep your LPs as clean as possible!)
The DR 6000 is also astonishing as a player. I sometimes alternate it with my NAD CD player.
A shame, though, that it is not as reliable as its brand and price suggest. After only two years use (non-intensive), the recorder went wrong (it wouldn't recognise any disc), and it cost € 160 to put right.
To sum up: if you are searching for a good (second-hand) cd recorder, that makes exact copies and plays fine, this is it. If you are looking for new material, the Tascam professional machine could be a good alternative at the price.
A last advice: even if you have a built-in cd burner in your computer, as I have, consider having a hi-fi cd recorder like this one, for quality as well as practical reasons.

Purchased At:   Philips Store, Bruss

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Sonically, this is a first-rate product as a recorder and especially as a CD player in its own right. Using the best music CD-Rs, such as TDK, copies of CDs are indistinguishable from the originals and if at all they sound better in that they lose some of the tension/ringing/glaring of these latter.
On playback of commercially recorded discs, the sound is smooth and sweet, dynamic, open and detailed, with very good imaging, soundstage width and depth. Bass has slam and transients are reproduced with plenty of snap. It gives a pretty good account of itself with high-resolution equipment, like Conrad-Johnson tube preamps and amps.

Unfortunately, my experience has shown this model to be totally unreliable. The refurbished unit I bought would not accept remote-control commands. The authorized repair shop could not fix it and it had to go back to Marantz. After FOUR months they sent me another refurbished machine as replacement, which immediately proved to be defective. It took another TWO months for Marantz to finally send me a new unit as replacement. It worked fine until today, when it stopped recording CDs after the first few tracks, updating the disc in such a way as to make it unusable. It keeps doing that on all recording modes.

The one-year warranty on refurbished unit (3 years on new ones) has expired and now I'm stuck with a machine that I can use only for playback. I hope that at least it continues to perform as player for some time to come.

After three tries, it seems a reasonable conclusion that there's something wrong with the design of this product, at least as a recorder. So be forewarned...

Purchased At:   Accessories4Less

Submitted by Jcampos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the DR 6000 as a CD Recorder and also as a CD Player after some pain-staking research. All of the previous review sum it up - this player/recorder is a bargain.
For those not familiar with Marantz product, this player includes High Definition Amplifier Modules. These modules are used instead of cheaper Op Amps on the pre-out stage to give music greater detail, depth, and more air in between instruments.
Unfortunately Marantz no longer includes these somewhat costly additions in there Home Theater line up, that is why I decided to purchase a component from there previous line. The sound difference is without a doubt noticable - I would even say night and day!
I'm currently using this player/recorder with a Parasound P/HP 850 Preamp and a pair of Marantz MA 6100 THX Ultra 125w Monoblocks. The combination is a complete and utter success with precise imaging, a soundstage with depth, and does not fatigue the listner even after a couple of hours of hardcore listening!
I would recommend using the best interconnects you can afford with this player if you're not running a digital output. I would recommend this player/recorder to anyone!

Purchased At:   Accessories 4 Less.C

Submitted by Kurt28 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was actually looking for the latest Marantz CD6000 cd player, but no one carried them,finally went to one dealer but had the DR6000 instead and was offered at a price that was a steal. Hooked it up to my Marantz receiver and immediately the sounds were fresher and the voices fuller. This is a great player! Haven't tested the recording yet.

Purchased At:   House of Music

Submitted by Darragh Sinnott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
IMHO
I guess the good points have already been covered in earlier reviews, and I agree with them, it's a superior product.
As a recorder I can't fault it when you take the viewpoint that making CD copies is the goal and I would be a liar to say I could tell the difference between the original CD and the copy made by this machine.
As a player, it's a little bit harsh compared to the likes of the Marantz CD6000KI (in my case), though I suppose it's not a fair comparison, and by way of mitigation I should say, for what it's worth, that the difference between it and my previous dedicated player, (Marantz CD6000OSE LE), is not as obvious.
On the other hand, I did notice that the tray mechanism was quite a bit less sophisticated compared to the KI or the OSE LE, and also that the CDR/CDR-RW disk finalising time is indeed slower compared a more recent CDR unit that I've used. However that's nothing I can't live with.
(IMHO) If you want a good CD player that can also record, then I don't know of any better that this.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds