Wadia Digital 301

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 'upgraded by Wadia' 301.
Strengths:
The transport, from Pioneer is excellent;
The bass are the best I heard from a CD-Player (ex-aequo with Krell SACD);
Variable output level;
Weaknesses:
The medium-highs are weird, un-natural. They are difficult to describe. They are not very detailed, not 'agressive' per se, but fatiguing and 'artificial',

Submitted by JRH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
Just a fantastic CDP that fit perfectly in my system. Very natural resolution, without any harshness. The 301 has a great sense of rhythm and pace that just feels natural to the senses. Expensive? Yes, but this player really got me enjoying my redbooks ceedee's. Built like a tank, with a transport that is solid and dependable. The newer 302 has a transport that belongs on a computer (like the Classe cdp10), that might be good, but for me it just didn't have that confident feel to it.

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Submitted by tcaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
Awesome CDP that is truly special in my system (Proac/Pass Labs). World class sound. It is extremely high resolution - I have heard things on CD's I have never noticed before on other well regarded players. It is very natural sounding and never dull. Some audiophile players are too laid back and trying to hard to sound analogue-like. This player just makes great music - vibrant, clear, exciting, but never harsh or atificial sounding. Expensive, but well worth it, even at retail. I have also heard the new Wadia 302 in a system similar to my own, and it sounds strikingly similar to the 301. The display on the new model is a bit larger, but the new Philips transport looks and feeld way too cheap. The Stable platter of the 301 seems much better made.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by trumpetbri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
The most incredible player I've heard to date! Digital done right! 3D, sweet yet detailed, incredibly dynamic/lifelike! I feel lucky to have gotten this at a closeout price! If you're considering one, jump on it! Nobody does digital like Wadia!

Purchased At:   Audio/Video Logic

Submitted by tim ward a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a superb CD player - but then I would say that, I bought it. I have auditioned many many CD players in the last 2 years, most underwhelming. The Wadia was very good indeed when placed in my original system, which included a less than powerful tubed integrated. When I traded that in for a BAT VK250 and drove it direct from the Wadia, the result was astounding. Vivid palpable midrange, sweet highs, deep controlled bass, rhythm and tonal accuracy in spades. And the detail! - just brilliant. Never knew there was so much on my CDs. It isnt cheap, but then quality rarely is.