PS Audio Lambda
MSRP  2000.00
Description: CD Transport

Submitted by Anton Ove a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I used this CD-transport LAMBDA TWO >SPECIAL< for several years. I can only say it is a stunning transport. I have the combo with a Threshold DAC-2 that have the UltraAnalog Chips 2 pieces ! balanced symetric build!! Also PS Audio have stunning DACS; the UltraLink II and the SuperLink Three with that amazing UltraAnalogs and HDCD chip. This Combo with LAMBDA sounds really amazing with a clarity and open stage, stunning bass and a wide performance. I hear the voice of Brian Ferry with his ballads singing; unbelievable pure and true music!! Any importance are the use of quality cables. I use Kimber Select and WireWorld Gold. The weakness in high-end are always the cheapness of connections. The high qualified LAMBDA and DAC Threshold needs also a matching qualified cable. I heard a lot of transports with DAC's or players, I must say the LAMBDA sound in skyhigh levels. A bad thing are the gearwheel of the CDM 9Pro. But that's a thing of Philips. The CDM-9PRO are used in the extremely expensive transport/players on the world as Forsell, Frontiers, Theta, Spectral and some qualified high-enders. It's a amazing transport with lens. If you change the gearwheel for a new with also a new belt you will enjoy again for next ten years. If I make the evedence with a turntable you should also outchanche the belt for new and oiled the gear. So it's all up the time and the frequence by use you play with your music-equipment-chain.

Submitted by dhardman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
This transport was my first “transport only” cd player. I bought it with the PS Audio SL Three DAC and am amazed that this unit did not get more critical acclaim. I lent it to a friend with a Conrad Johnson CD-1 for a weekend and the result was him looking for a new transport. I’d always thought that the DAC was the more important of the two pieces, but was very surprised at the difference that a good transport can make. At the time I acquired this, I was using a Rega Planet and doing an “A/B” test between the Planet and Lambda reveled some really remarkable differences.

The Lambda Two is very punchy and detailed. Never overwhelming. My only wish is for a little nicer remote. Maybe something more indicative of a $2,000 transport. I’ve read a few people had problems with the mechanics of this unit, and I hope it is not a problem. I think this is one piece of equipment that won’t get “upgraded” any time soon.

Purchased At:   Genesis Audio

Submitted by john jones a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
'i now run the ps audio with trichord clock three runnig off battery lovely soundig transport workS well with audio synthesis dacs. STEVE HAS LOADS OF GOOD DEALS, EMAIL ME FOR IS TELEPHONE NUBER, HE TRULY IS HIGHEND HE SWAPS AND PART EX AND HE CHOKES IT TO GIVE YOU A GOOD DEAL

Purchased At:   steve ridick dealer

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I recently took my Lambda to a high-end dealer to audition some of the new-generation DACs. Although the PS Audio Ultralink DAC may not be up to par with the newer DACs, the Lambda CD drive is still "up there" with the best. While auditioning the $3000 plus Parasound AVC-2500u, I compared this unit's DAC with input from the Lambda and a well broke-in Sony SCD-777ES. To my surprise, the Lambda sounded readily better than the Sony, playing 16-bit CD's--the bass was better defined and sharpness of detail was greater (the Sony sounded a tiny bit "blurry" but still quite good). When we switched the Sony over to SACD mode and played some Super Audio Compact Discs, the Sony clearly and powerfully showed the SACD format's superiority.

After listening to the Sony play SACD's and then switching back to regular CD mode, the music actually sounded terrible in comparison. However, after then going back to the Lambda, the same music was fresh and engaging again.

One of the things I have listened for over the years is the sound of well-recored cymbals. On the Lambda, the snap, tone and fade are outstanding. The true test though, is this: Do they sound like BRASS? Many good systems will reproduce bright and powerful cymbal crashes, but they don't quite sound like brass--more like a tin alloy or stainless steel. On the lambda, they sound like pure and natural brass. Brushes, high-hats, drums, all sound great and each occupies a definite place in the soundstage. The Lambda projects exceptional three-dimensionality.

Like another reviewer, the drive mechanism on my Lambda failed after a couple of years. The problem was a nylon drive gear that cost $15 to replace. You don't have to replace the whole drive mechanism if the gear breaks, for goodness sakes! Anyway, with a good look at the gear, it was easy to determine what caused it to fail: the gear being forced to stop and reverse itself before completing its run on a nylon track to open or close the CD tray. Since then, I have been careful to allow the tray to completely open or completely close before altering the mechanism's motion. The mechanism has worked flawlessly ever since. So it may be said that with proper care, there is no real flaw in the drive mechanism, which is actually quite substantial and smooth-operating.

In my system, the analog signal goes from the DAC through a pair of ladder attenuators into a Sonic Frontiers SFS-80 tube amp. It sounds sweet, oh, so sweet. It's dynamic, like the real musicians are in the room with me. I rate the Lambda 5-stars, because as a transport for 16-bit CD's, the unit truly is a giant killer, and in the used market I think it probably will clobber anything new in the $500 to $1000 price range.

Purchased At:   Stereo Unlimited

Submitted by Allan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This transport sounds great until the transport fails. PS Audio was still in business when my first unit failed. They gave me a mechanical replacement free of charge. Less than two years later, the Philips transport of the second unit failed. I replaced it at a cost of $325(US).

Then it failed. By this time, the transport was out of production and unavailable. My Lamda was then a worthless piece of junk.

WARNING: Do not buy one of these on the used market.